News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

TSoG testing crew(first post updated)

Started by Xemadus Echina, March 28, 2010, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xemadus Echina

well its nice to see my idea gaining some momentum :) perhaps an official subform should be created in the near future?  i know for a fact that it would improve efficiency because one of the problems with bug reports are finding the reliable ones.

pres: and once again you got it wrong. my plan for this idea was not to pick out some hard-core players and go bug hunting. my idea was to bring together the members of this community that actually care about the progress  of TSoG(and later games) so that we could speed it along by organizing and creating an area that Craig and look through that is less chaotic and more reliable when he goes back to fix any problems their might be.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Tastidian

I see where rainen is getting at but Craig made a better idea and if this plan follows through i'll sign up for it. But if it is vetoed oh well i guess.

torugo

if it works out ill join too
mock the pheonix you will burn

MikeW781

i will begin attempting to find damage formulas for the main tommorow
if anybody has already done this, please notify me
i can do the same for any character if needed
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Xemadus Echina

from the looks of it this idea has already taken roots in some people. it may just make it via popular demand.

P.S. my original idea was just something to bring all this into discussion.  i knew somebody else would use the idea to create a better idea so that is the main reason why i posted it.
im writing a book!
You never know

KZ

Quote from: KZ on March 29, 2010, 06:52:18 AM
Well, if there is a general desire to get started and organized, why not?

There are several areas that can be filled and researched:
-for instance, one can go ahead with the high money stat and create numerous sub-games to verify the minimal levels for aptitude, personality and psy power required to complete each side quest (Umma, Arman, Mahboob, Al'al, Crypts, etc)
-one can also go searching for bugs (like I've been doing recently) by verifying whether the cut-scenes work properly- that is to say, see if the right cut-scene appears depending on which member of the team is dead (this applies to prison break, bandit mission, labour rescue cut-scenes)
-one can go and look through all the different texts to see wherether there are bits which are cut-off (ie sentnec not finished) or typos present (in the most different of places- in the menu, in the battle-objectives sreen, in dialogue, world map, etc)
-one can test the enemy AI- take one unit and then set up many different combinations (backstab opportunities, kill oportunities, distance-related movement, etc) in Map Editor and find any situations where the enemy AI can really be imrpoved
-one can also check out the dialogue branching trees- see if all the options work and that there are no incorrect connections, that the right actions/effects follow the word choices, etc (for instance, I just did this with the Azma Lair dialogue, had about 10 games running simulatneously to see that the tree was working right)
-one can also, through trial and error in map editor (by using the in-game team), see what the formula's for damage are for each of the attacks, as well as verifying and collecting enemy stats
-one can also go through the wiki, article by article and try to standardise the information, correct mistakes, add extra information
-one can go through the old forums and find threads which led to the general forum populace agreeing on certain things (e.g. meaning of Shadowling colour, their structure, the pseudo-scientific basis for the elemental attacks and shields) which have been more or less integrated into TSoG (like explanations for attacks)

All of these things are useful and doable (I myself have tried my hand in each over the years) and if we could collate it all together, it would be great.
So, what do you think, folks? Up to any of the above? :)

I guess if we start in this framework, and reply with info here for now, then it will be good. Otherwise, methinks, Craig, maybe a subforum "TSoG Testing Crew" might be a good idea (like the TRPG2 Beta testing sub-forums back in the day)!
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Xemadus Echina

My original idea WAS theoretical but due to the increased popularity, I think it is actually going to happen in the near future.

P.S. since it was my idea to begin with do you think i could be the moderator of the sub forum ?  8)
im writing a book!
You never know

SmartyPants

Quote from: rainen on April 01, 2010, 02:52:36 PM
My original idea WAS theoretical but due to the increased popularity, I think it is actually going to happen in the near future.
Talk to me when Craig is actually recruiting.

KZ

It is theoretical at the moment, but have a look at Craig's post on previous page- he seems to like the idea of more organised game-testing.
We'll see what he does, then act accordingly- I'm just flushing out ideas here.

No offence, rainen, but people don't become moderators because they have ideas, and there is that well known rule that those who do, don't ask for it, but get asked. ;)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on April 01, 2010, 02:58:11 PM
No offence, rainen, but people don't become moderators because they have ideas, and there is that well known rule that those who do, don't ask for it, but get asked. ;)
It is also not about how long one has been here, because I been here a while now.  It is about being knowlegeable, and level headed.  I am not going to be asked because I can become a hot head at some moments.

Xemadus Echina

Don't blame me for asking ;)  I still remember on the old forums when somebody asked to become a mod every day.

im2: As of now the whole deal is just sign yourself up.  Even though there is nothing official regarding the testing crew, people are still taking part in it.
im writing a book!
You never know

Tastidian

KZ don't you think you should get Craig into this conversation. It would be more efficient to deiced on this topic.

CraigStern

I definitely approve of this! But I don't have time to organize it myself. :'(

I'll be happy to give you guys feedback if there are particular areas that I think need testing more than others, though.

Tastidian

Since Craig cant why don't you KZ. I also have an idea to help us we could make a chat room in the forums built for everyone like on the side and a official page some where in the forums and another private one with admin only for testers.