News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Continually slowing animations

Started by Roccandil, April 19, 2015, 09:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billick

Quote from: Piccolo on April 24, 2015, 01:19:43 AM
Found the reason why the game is slowing down. At the beginning of battle, processing power according to windows task manager ranges anywhere from 170-200mb. After the battle goes on for about 10-15 minutes, processing power is at 340mb. Tested this on the small map battle where you got to pay a fine to pass. No weather effects there, they are not an issue. Seems like a memory leak issue.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this isn't a memory leak:
1) Memory leaks typically don't just go away without restarting the app, but starting a new level makes the slowdown go away
2) It's normal for memory use to fluctuate, so that isn't evidence of a memory leak
3) 340MB of memory usage isn't enough to cause that kind of slowdown.
4) memory usage is not the same thing as processing power

Senteria

I am having issues too where it slows down so much that it's almost unplayable. Seems also the more turns you skip the more lag appears. It happens in large maps a lot more. I actually now have to resort to a different more dangerous tactics so I beat the level quicker. When I quit to main menu the slowdown continues. Even up to the point where my cursor also slows down a lot. This is the most breaking bug so far I've encountered. Well other than being stuck on enemy's turn which has not occured anymore.

CraigStern

I'm going to try to figure this out for the game's v 1.03 patch. Thanks for the reports, guys!

Senteria

Quote from: CraigStern on April 27, 2015, 09:42:22 AM
I'm going to try to figure this out for the game's v 1.03 patch. Thanks for the reports, guys!

Anything I can do to help uncover the problem?

Kletian999

I ran into this in the "Rescue the Spriggan from the cell and Recruit the Bowman" mission sometime after turn 10 (I spent 18 turns there).  I don't think it was just the large body of AI to move.  If I see it next level I'll make sure to get a log.

AK Dave

Sounds like Craig is already on this, so sorry to pile on. I thought I should mention that I have the Mac version and this is also a problem for me.

Also: I find that if I exit Fullscreen mode, it speeds things up a lot; but even so it eventually slows to a crawl turn by turn.

ThunderReign

I have this issue as well. I'm not sure if it's related, but during the Bridge Battle, just when I was one turn away from escaping, the most commands with the mouse stopped functioning. I could not click on characters that still have turns active and had to use spacebar. The only command they are were able to respond to was attacking. Thus, couldn't move, turn around, or even exit the game.

Kletian999

Really hope this gets fixed soon.  Let me know if you need more Logs because it's really demoralizing when it occurs.

AK Dave

I just finished the mission against the shadowling guy who apparently didn't bring enough golems to the fight. The game got slower and slower and slower each turn. It took me three sittings to finish this mission. Normally I play for about an hour or so at a sitting. So, at least 3 hours to finish the battle, over three days. I had to leave the program running because I can't save mid-mission, and there was no way I was going to start that mission over again after investing the time.

All of this is to say: as exciting as this game is, I can't look past this problem anymore. :( The missions are getting too long and becoming too slow.

Is there any hope for a fix?

Eldiran

Can confirm that this problem still occurs in 1.3, though it might take longer to happen than it used to. It's hard to say.

Most recently it happened to me in the "Rescue the Spriggan" level.

EDIT : just played the fortress escape mission (the one in the rain), can confirm it now takes a good deal longer than it used to for the slowdown to occur.

rampancy

I'm sad to say that I'm still experiencing slowdowns on the Mac which I'm using to play this game (Late-2010 11.6" MacBook Air, 1.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 10.10.3), even with the latest patch (from GOG). I did check and this Mac does meet the system requirements to play...

I am really getting into this game, but the slow performance is really putting a damper on my enjoyment so far.

ikbenrichard

Quote from: Eldiran on May 15, 2015, 12:20:25 AM
Can confirm that this problem still occurs in 1.3, though it might take longer to happen than it used to. It's hard to say.

Most recently it happened to me in the "Rescue the Spriggan" level.

Same here. It now (v1.30) takes about twice as long before the slowdown starts.

Kletian999

I had it happen on the Coria Bridge level.  Despite their being barely any enemies by the end my own turns took forever.

Zetor

It seems to be tied to # of elapsed turns more than anything (as a rough estimate, any fight that went on for over 10 turns started suffering from massive slowdowns, regardless of how many enemies were still alive), which makes me suspect a memory / resource leak somewhere... but I'm not familiar with the eldritch ways of Adobe AIR.

CraigStern

It's gotta be something! I'm gonna fix that thing if it kills me. :D