News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Teammates

Started by SmartyPants, March 18, 2010, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you put on your team.

Anya
14 (31.8%)
Darkling
31 (70.5%)
Dorgon
27 (61.4%)
Festus
31 (70.5%)
Flint
20 (45.5%)
Gamblin' Jack
25 (56.8%)
Grotius
31 (70.5%)
Guy
13 (29.5%)
Helena
12 (27.3%)
Niven
22 (50%)
Shadowboxer
32 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Ertxiem

I usually used:
Festus (healer);
Flint and Grotius (tanks with long range attacks using low PsP);
Niven (safe attacks against golems and Phantom Armors);
Darkling (backstabbing after shadowporting);
Shadowboxer (strong attacks and mobility);
Anya (if I need a second healer, namely in the final battles)

If I wasn't using Anya, I may choose either Helena or Dorgon, depending on the type of battle ahead.
Gamblin' Jack was more useful in TRPG2 SE due to his healing abilities.
I never used Guy that often. His unique attack, pyro hail, uses up too much PsP.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

MikeW781

I think your choices depend on your strategy type and how much you grind your characters.
I enjoy having seperate squads that attack from different angles. Usually, Darkling, Shadowboxer, and Festus tackle enemies in the back corners, with Festus either healing or using mind blast
Then, I have Gamblin' Jack, Helena, and Main charge the front group
Finally, Grotius and Dorgon are used as a group, because Dorgons range and Grotius' power and mobility mean that they can kill quickly and efficiantly.

This strategy only works due to grinding. Personally, I trained Shadowboxer to the point where he was tied with my main, because he was faster, flying, had more health, and less damage. Also, Darkling has enough health that he doesn't need feedback, as long as festus is helping him. Next, I trained Festus to have the same Psy power as Darkling, making him a good assassin as well as a healer.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Cheddarius

Dorgon's attack is pure Psy Power, which means that it is ludicrously costly to level up for minimal attack strength. If you're lucky, you can get a lot of hits - but the damage is bad. Should I discard Dorgon, then? (Same with Gamblin' Jack - he's redeemed by his epic Snake Eyes though)
I think a lot of people like the Shadowlings because they've already leveled them up by the time they get new characters. If you started with Anya, for example, she'd be crazy strong near the end.
Niven is also pretty weak - 9 damage. His Trick Shot is okay but it's too weak to be good. Maybe if I leveled him more...

Also, why does the wiki say that a lot of the characters can get attacks that aren't listed in the Hellion training thread - for example, Dorgon's "Burst Shot" and Jack's "Recover"?

MikeW781

the new attacks are in the special CD version and the Sinister Design version

cx

Jack's Recover isn't exactly attack, its self-heal.

Cheddarius

Ah. I'm playing on the Sinister Design website, but I don't see them... do I have to train certain stats for them?
If so, which ones to what level?

Ertxiem

The old forums have a thread with information about the character upgrades at Hellion's.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

cx

Quote from: Ertxiem on April 23, 2010, 07:38:36 AM
The old forums have a thread with information about the character upgrades at Hellion's.

and new boads too.

neither shows when GJ gets recover and I can't either remember it.

Ertxiem

Oh! I didn't pay attention to the post.
I believe that Gamblin' Jack gets Recover at 12 Defence (I have that written down in a paper).
By the way, here is the link for these (new) forums page for the character upgrades at Hellion's.
I don't know how could I forget about that... now KZ will hit me with his mod hammer of punishment. :)
Ert, the Dead Cow.

Cheddarius

Thanks! Er, do you know when Dorgon gets Burst Shot?
Also, why do so many people like him? His attacks seem awfully weak and situational for me. I've only ever hit two people in the time I've had him - never managed to line up three in a row.

Duskling

People prefer Dorgon because he can hit enemies from afar, i.e. accross the map, so he is the long range "sniper" character. While he may not be too quick, he can save your life if melee characters are too far away to be any use, assuming he has a clear shot, of course. :)

MikeW781

dorgon is not that weak, especially when you consider that you can use him to kill anybody in a few hits while taking absolutely no damage

Cheddarius

Hmmm, that's a good point. I guess 9 damage is pretty good for a sniper.

Duskling

Quote from: Cheddarius on April 24, 2010, 05:32:06 PM
Hmmm, that's a good point. I guess 9 damage is pretty good for a sniper.
While I hope that wasn't sarcasm, it isn't that bad for such a long range blast, also, it can be upgraded, plus it can do backstab damage, so, with a little maneuvering, Dorgon can help you win almost any battle.

MikeW781

It appears that, while all my other decisions were popular ones, most poeple chose Niven/Flint over Helena. I understand that Flint is strong when upgraded through Gelf, and that Niven is manuverable, but Helena is a strong melee fighter and her Whirlwind attack is very useful. Despite the fact that it usually only hits one or two people at once, I still like it.