News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Wish List for Telepath Tactics

Started by Ertxiem, December 13, 2012, 06:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrawmanMatt

That was a much better answer than I had been expecting. :D

As it stands it seems that Steam currently works with Ubuntu and very little else, but that you even thought about the long tail of other distros is certainly a relief from the "of course it works with Linux, there's the Ubuntu binary right there" I've seen from some other indie devs.

(Of course, even that is better than the answer I was fearing and might still actually turn out to be the case, "sorry, the entire engine is inextricably tied to use of Adobe AIR, it's just not feasible to revamp the whole thing for this project".)

If you were willing to distribute a compilable source code along with a binary it might (barring the above parenthetical) make cross-compatibility much simpler since the user can just work out their own libraries, compile for 32- versus 64-bit, etc. - especially in a game like this with little randomization and primarily singleplayer+hotseat multiplayer so cheating isn't an issue. It feels weird even suggesting that for a commercial work, but in theory I don't see how it would be any more piracy-friendly than, say, storing the game resources as independent PNG/OGG/XML files.

CraigStern

Yeah, that's not something I've ever done. (Which isn't to say it's out of the realm of possibility!) Once I get the core game completed, I can look into the feasibility of a native Linux port.

StrawmanMatt

Here's hoping then!

In the meantime, so how about that play-by-email option, for those of us who have no friends only know people with similar gaming tastes online or with badly differing schedules and/or time zones?

Ertxiem

Quote from: StrawmanMatt on March 18, 2013, 02:12:35 AM
[...]<strike>[text]</strike>[...]
StrawmanMatt: you can try to use [ s ] text [ / s ] (without the extra spaces).
You'll get text.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

JeenLeen

When it says 'click to begin' (I forget the exact words) for when a turn starts, could you add that 'press any key' also starts the turn?

Edit: I was just playing the public demo, and by mistake hit either the option to surrender or the one to exit the game.  Could you add a question like a "Are you sure?" pop-up beforehand to prevent accidental exits?

Also, could an option be added such that, when you exit a battle before ending it in campaign mode, the game saves any experience/items gained?  I realize that it could be too much to be able to save a battle mid-game (though that would be nice), but if at least xp were maintained, I wouldn't feel like I lost my time investment if I had to quit a battle before finishing it.  Plus, it would give players who want to a chance to level up their party extra or strengthen weaker players by fighting most of a battle, quitting, then starting again.

CraigStern

Quote from: StrawmanMatt on March 18, 2013, 02:12:35 AMIn the meantime, so how about that play-by-email option, for those of us who have no friends only know people with similar gaming tastes online or with badly differing schedules and/or time zones?

This is actually something I started coding a while ago, then dropped to focus on single player. I think it would be pretty feasible for me to finish that feature up before release. :)

Quote from: JeenLeen on March 22, 2013, 12:39:37 PM
When it says 'click to begin' (I forget the exact words) for when a turn starts, could you add that 'press any key' also starts the turn?

Hm, probably. Right now, the Esc key serves that function. (It also advances dialog and closes menus.)

Edit: I was just playing the public demo, and by mistake hit either the option to surrender or the one to exit the game.  Could you add a question like a "Are you sure?" pop-up beforehand to prevent accidental exits?

Yup--that's on the Big List of Stuff To Add to the Game. ;)

Quote from: JeenLeen on March 22, 2013, 12:39:37 PMAlso, could an option be added such that, when you exit a battle before ending it in campaign mode, the game saves any experience/items gained?  I realize that it could be too much to be able to save a battle mid-game (though that would be nice), but if at least xp were maintained, I wouldn't feel like I lost my time investment if I had to quit a battle before finishing it.  Plus, it would give players who want to a chance to level up their party extra or strengthen weaker players by fighting most of a battle, quitting, then starting again.

Hm. If I do something like this, it'd be via full-fledged mid-battle saving. I don't want to encourage players to grind by constantly quitting battles halfway through!

JeenLeen

Quote from: CraigStern on March 25, 2013, 08:26:29 PM

Hm, probably. Right now, the Esc key serves that function. (It also advances dialog and closes menus.)

That should work fine if the 'any key' function can't be added in.  Glad to know it works for dialog, too.   :)

Quote from: CraigStern on March 25, 2013, 08:26:29 PM
Quote from: JeenLeen on March 22, 2013, 12:39:37 PMAlso, could an option be added such that, when you exit a battle before ending it in campaign mode, the game saves any experience/items gained?  I realize that it could be too much to be able to save a battle mid-game (though that would be nice), but if at least xp were maintained, I wouldn't feel like I lost my time investment if I had to quit a battle before finishing it.  Plus, it would give players who want to a chance to level up their party extra or strengthen weaker players by fighting most of a battle, quitting, then starting again.

Hm. If I do something like this, it'd be via full-fledged mid-battle saving. I don't want to encourage players to grind by constantly quitting battles halfway through!

Would there be any random battle zones or ways to level up? 
Though if there are no ways to just level, that does add a tactical edge about having to level up your party somewhat evenly to keep them all on equal footing.  Personally I don't care for it and would rather have a way to level up--plus fighting old battles and trying different tactics could be fun--but I see how it's an interesting element for the game.  I remember Vandal Hearts (PS1 game) was like that, and it made the game a little harder but didn't really hurt it.

CraigStern

Optional side missions may be a possibility, but I don't plan to allow any sort of persistent grinding in the main campaign.

bum_199

energy golems and ballistas sound great but i'm more concerned about modding in units with 0 movement that may attack or buff with  various ranges and aoe. I'm wondering what ill be able to mod in.  I'm also wondering if certain unit types (take the tower idea for example) could be modded to be immune to backstabbing, side stabbing, pushing, pulling throwing and status affects. On some side notes will there be a status affect to temporarily increase movement or number of turns and can we change victory/failure conditions?

SmartyPants

If possible, it would be cool to see a Giant Mantis not being ridden by a cavalier.  These would make a good non-sentient unit that can be used in numerous situations including war pets and wild encounters.

CraigStern

Quote from: bum_199 on March 30, 2013, 12:56:47 AMwill there be a status affect to temporarily increase movement or number of turns and can we change victory/failure conditions?

Yes to all of these! All of these are currently supported in-game in one form or another, but there's still room for more robust implementations.

bum_199

Whats the games take on immunties? will we be be able to adjust immunities to status affects and whether certain units can be pushed, pulled, or thrown? will we be able to adjust if units are immune to backstabbing and side stabbing? On a separate note can we adjust which units have a chance to counter attack?

CraigStern

You can adjust whether units have a counterattack, as well as setting a numerical limit on how many counterattacks a unit gets per turn. You can make character immune to status effects by giving them 50% or greater resistance to the element of the attack that imparts that status effect (e.g. characters with 50% or greater Heat resistance will be immune to Burning). To make it so a unit can't be pushed, pulled or thrown, set its pushable attribute to false. There is not currently any way to make units selectively immune to backstab or sidestab damage.

the_question

I know when you scroll over a unit you can see all what elements they are resistance to.  Is there a way to display how many counters someone has and what fashion they counter (e.g. range or "with sword", etc.)? 

That would be a nice thing to add to the wish list

*edit

Is there a way of selecting a group of units (for example: 3 units) and telling them to move/Rally to a point?  That would be nice too.

CraigStern

Quote from: the_question on April 08, 2013, 05:38:15 PM
I know when you scroll over a unit you can see all what elements they are resistance to.  Is there a way to display how many counters someone has and what fashion they counter (e.g. range or "with sword", etc.)? 

Yup! When you right-click to bring up the expanded character info screen, you should see a counterattack listed if the character has one, with the maximum number of counterattacks in parentheses next to it.

Quote from: the_question on April 08, 2013, 05:38:15 PMIs there a way of selecting a group of units (for example: 3 units) and telling them to move/Rally to a point?  That would be nice too.

There isn't yet, but I've been wanting to add this functionality. It'll happen sooner or later. :)