News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Developer's Log

Started by CraigStern, February 11, 2013, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Spent some time giving artist feedback today.

Fixed: a bug that was causing the AI to freeze up. Also, the little bar that displays the name of selected attacks is now positioned properly at the top of the screen when fullscreen mode is on.

We now have a Pyrokineticist attack animation!

Currently putting the Grass tileset through its final paces so we can get any necessary revisions.

CraigStern

Finished testing and sending out revisions for the expanded Grass tileset.

Fixed a couple of bugs related to character portraits (in particular: one where portraits would get misplaced if you swapped between windowed mode and fullscreen on a branch with multiple replies).

CraigStern

I've put the first, rough version of an animated experience bar into the game. I'll be tweaking it tomorrow and most likely updating the build then as well. :)

CraigStern

Fixed a bug with the "Done" button in the character deployment menu.

Added in all the remaining unit portraits.

Stone Golem's Fist animation is done! Added that into the game.

Finished up adding the animated experience point bar; added a sweet little glow animation to it when it hits 100 experience points and the character levels up. :)

The early access installers have been updated online.

CraigStern

Fixed a bug where CPU-controlled characters that can move after attacking (like bowmen) would interrupt a character's death monologue by moving after striking the final blow.

I've updated the alpha installers online.

CraigStern

Aaaaand I'm back home after a week in LA for Indiecade. Development continues tomorrow!

CraigStern

Okay! Spent a bunch more time giving artist feedback. We now have a basic attack animation for the Mentalist, and finished NPC portraits for male and female villager children; we should have a Kinetic Pull animation and an expanded Grass tileset very soon as well.

CraigStern

I've been trying to pinpoint the cause of a particular glitch that's causing attacks to sometimes damage unrelated targets and shake the screen. So far, I've only noticed it happening when the CPU launches attacks, but it seems pretty inconsistent. I'll see if I can figure it out today.

CraigStern

Okay! I seem to have found and fixed the issue with attacks damaging other targets for no reason. Also, I fixed a few other bugs: swimming no longer triggers inappropriate animations; lighting no longer cuts off partway through right-facing character attack animations; and mousing off of an action button no longer acts as if you've selected Swim for characters stuck in water or lava.

The early access installers have been updated online.

CraigStern

Lan Giniewski has sent me finished Kinetic Pull animations for the Mentalist! I also got Lorne to send me the 7-frame prototype animation he started last year for the Mentalist's Levitate animation; I spent about an hour expanding it into a full 16-frame animation, and I'm quite pleased with the results. As of right now, the Mentalist is fully animated.

CraigStern

We now have a complete expanded Grass tileset! I plan to update the TileData XML file for this tileset today so it becomes fully useable.

CraigStern

I've now entered data for all of the expanded Grass tileset's 362 tiles. Super boring, but it had to be done!

I've also added in a portrait for Lakshmi Bana in the Kovit campaign, and added portraits to all of the various character death monologues.

I've updated the installers online.

CraigStern

I've now added a feature to the game where it informs you if you're about to use a damaging attack on an allied character and has you confirm the attack.

This is primarily designed for new players who might not notice when they attack their own characters--the confirmation window won't trigger when you use AOE abilities that also hit enemies, or when you use attacks with the "Falling" element (i.e. Shove or Throw). That might sound like a waste of time, but you would be amazed how often I've seen new players just casually nail their own allies with Sword and Bow attacks without even realizing they were doing it.

CraigStern

Fixed a few snafus in the game's code determining when certain things could be moved onto a space. In particular: you can now shove and pull characters onto a space with an open door, and you can no longer throw destructible objects (other than item sacks) onto a space with another destructible object (unless the second object is a bridge). Oh, and multiple item sacks can't share the same space either. :D

CraigStern

Redid the feature preventing the player from accidentally targeting attacks on an empty space so it doesn't dump the player back to the actions menu afterwards; it now feels consistent with the "don't accidentally attack an ally" feature.