News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Developer's Log

Started by CraigStern, February 11, 2013, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

--fixed a bug that was preventing DamageChar from behaving like a normal shield when used to heal a character (i.e. damage with a Shield element)
--finished the tutorial!

CraigStern

--new in-game objects: slain bodies from 12 of the game's classes. (And yeah, that sounds a little morbid, but look at how much more intense this battle looks with them there!)

CraigStern

--went back and fixed an issue with the Generals game type where graphics were no longer loading for the generals
--added in star icons for generals in multiplayer, and added in star icons for both generals in multiplayer and characters to be protected in both multi- and single player in the detailed character window

CraigStern

--I've updated the map editor so that it now properly displays and saves the repetitions attribute attached to various dialog branches. I've also made it so you can easily edit the repetitions attribute using the dialog editor.

The map editor has been updated online.

CraigStern

--fixed a bug in the map editor where the new explanatory text boxes extended down invisibly to cover up input text boxes, thus preventing clicking in portions of those boxes
--added a new cut scene between Silithis and Ambuur Sang
--trimmed down the dialog in the scene introducing Farasat Hashmal, Gavrielle Hashmal, Louise Legerdemain, and Madeleine Strongarm
--mocked up a new battle in which you must rescue a black spriggat from a camp full of bandits

CraigStern

--made it so the game properly runs scripts from automatic use items that it auto-loots via Post-Battle Looting (this allows the use of SetVal to count money and other collectibles as a numerical variable even when the item sack isn't grabbed during battle)
--added coin sacks to the items list for The Vengeance of Emma Strider
--added money drops to enemies in the Battle at Adelbrae
--made it so the game delays moving on to the next character when a CPU character moves after attacking
--fixed a scripting issue in the Battle at Adelbrae
--made it so Run can be used properly in dialog within static cut scenes

CraigStern

--fixed a map editor bug that was sometimes preventing it from saving maps if new destructible objects were added during editing

The game and map editor installers have both been updated online!

CraigStern

--fixed AI mistiming bugs
--fixed bug that preventing AI for continuing a character's turn after grabbing an item sack
--fixed a bug that was sometimes causing the game to freeze when characters initiated an attack
--fixed a bug that was preventing the game from advancing character dialog with the Escape key
--tweaked character stat and attack progressions
--tweaked caravan battle
--created new cut scenes before and after the caravan battle
--new character portrait

CraigStern

--improved AI algorithm for actions undertaken after using or grabbing items
--added proper support for loading and saving Scripts with maps into the map editor (I have no idea how I managed to forget to add this, but it's in there now!)
--fixed a bug in the dialog editor that concerned the Duplicate Branch function

I've updated the map editor installers online! :)

CraigStern

--floating text pop-ups no longer spawn before you click to begin your turn; instead, they now wait for your turn to start and only then appear
--updated Cone of Cold multiplayer map; got rid of Archipelago (which was decidedly not very fun to play on)
--fixed a few random bugs
--did some cut scene polishing
--balanced the Caravan Battle for difficulty

CraigStern

--fixed a bug in the RemoveTag and RemoveTagFromArmy actions
--new script action: GoToLastBranch. It's just like GoTo, but it has no parameters; it simply moves the dialog back to whatever branch the conversation was on before the current branch. Good for conversational "dead ends" that can be reached from multiple different points in the dialog tree (e.g. "I'm sorry, but it looks like you don't have enough money to buy that.")
--two new Reply types: LastBranch and LastLastBranch. These behave the same way as NewBranch, but take no parameters, and instead move the conversation back one (or two, in the case of LastLastBranch) branches previous to the current branch.

E.G. Let's say a player is on branch 7, then clicks a reply that takes him to branch 10, and then clicks a reply that takes him to branch 15. Clicking a LastBranch reply would return him to Branch 10; clicking a LastLastBranch reply would return him to branch 7.

CraigStern

--working on the merchant dialog tree some more.
--fixed bug where LastBranch and LastLastBranch reply types weren't working properly
--fixed bug where dialog with special -VAL:- and -STR:- placeholders would not update to reflect new values as they were updated via dialog
--added new LastLastLastBranch reply type (because why not)
--oh, and I submitted the game to Indiecade :)

--fixed a bug where items weren't being properly unequipped within the inventory screen when equipping a different item to the same slot, leading to multiple items showing an "equipped" symbol

CraigStern

--fixed a couple of bugs in the merchant dialog tree; it's now fully functional! :D
--swapped out the placeholder character sprites from the intro; Emma and Sabrina are now actually depicted as children when they should be children
--I've implemented experience scaling into the game; the game now scales the experience characters get from attacking or slaying enemies based on the differences between their levels (you get more experience for enemies that are higher-level than your character, less experience for enemies that are lower level). Each level gap increases or decreases the experience award by 10%, to a maximum of 250% or a minimum of 10% of the base experience amount.

CraigStern

--to complement the new experience scaling system, I've added a new tag to the game that you can use to silently level up generic enemies to a specific level as soon as they spawn: LevelUp. The LevelUp tag takes one parameter: a positive integer that tells the game how many levels the tagged character should gain.

For example: the main campaign has a generic level 1 enemy named Bloodbeard's Bandit. But suppose I want the player to face a slightly tougher version, one that will give him or her more experience points? I can use the LevelUp tag for that. This will level up the bandit twice, causing the player to face a level 3 bandit:

<Unit tag="Add,LevelUp,2">0,1,Bloodbeard's/Bandit,1,17,Down,25 Coins</Unit>

There are two big things that distinguish this from leveling up via the GiveExp script action: (1) it goes right in the Unit tag, so you can apply it to characters that don't have unique names; and (2) it levels them up quietly, meaning you aren't going to see a bunch of experience bars and pop-up text over the enemies at the start of every battle.

CraigStern

--added an optional parameter to the LastBranch reply type specifying the number of branches back in the conversation history to travel (if the parameter is not entered, it'll just go back one by default)
--added an optional parameter to the GoToLastBranch script action specifying the number of branches back in the conversation history to travel (if the parameter is not entered, it'll just go back one by default)