News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

More Shadowling Sprites

Started by SmartyPants, February 19, 2013, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be more than one shadowling sprite in Telepath Tactics?

Definitely
5 (62.5%)
Yes
2 (25%)
Maybe
0 (0%)
No
1 (12.5%)
Hell No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

SmartyPants

If there is a campaign with shadowling soldiers, healersavengers, captains, and psy assassins, then it would be nice if they didn't all look exactly the same. With a successful Kickstarter, Craig will have more sprites made for each class of humans, spriggats, and lizardmen.  So why not have a second sprite for the shadowling race?

According to a previous poll, the most popular shadowling sprites are Tastidian and Hellion.  With these results, I suggest having either a shadowling spirte with a bone mask like Hellion or a shadowling sprite with devil horns like Tastidian.

ArtDrake

Were those not each specific circumstances? [Tastidian uniquely having the horns as far as I recall, and the bone masks signifying rank within the Shadowling Empire]

CraigStern

Other shadowlings (like Darkeye) have horns. I'd actually like to add in more variations, just to allow more visual distinctions between shadowling characters, but we'll have to see how far resources from the Kickstarter stretch.

ArtDrake

Ah, I had a suspicion that there was another character with horns, but I couldn't think of who it was.

I am certainly in favor of variation, if only for aesthetics' sake. I am just a bit wary of the use of characteristics like the masks when they're not necessarily appropriate, since that might detract from the integrity of the storytelling with respect to the graphics.

Scars and other facial apparel are the only variations upon the shadowling I can think of that don't involve new anatomical features.

bugfartboy

Quote from: Duckling on February 20, 2013, 06:17:19 PM
Scars and other facial apparel are the only variations upon the shadowling I can think of that don't involve new anatomical features.
Apart from color, you mean. Perhaps instead of masks there could be gloves? Those shadowlings must get cold, with their hands just floating in midair with no protection at all.

SmartyPants

Quote from: CraigStern on February 20, 2013, 12:15:37 PMI'd actually like to add in more variations, just to allow more visual distinctions between shadowling characters, but we'll have to see how far resources from the Kickstarter stretch.
Yay! This is what I was hoping to hear.

Quote from: Duckling on February 20, 2013, 06:17:19 PMI am certainly in favor of variation, if only for aesthetics' sake.
Then why would you vote "No" on this and every other Telepath Tactics poll?

Quote from: Duckling on February 20, 2013, 01:08:12 AMWere those not each specific circumstances? Tastidian uniquely having the horns as far as I recall.
Darkeye has horns too, and for all we know shadowling horns could be as common as red hair or blue eyes in humans.

Quote from: Duckling
Quote from: Duckling on February 20, 2013, 01:08:12 AMWere those not each specific circumstances? The bone masks signifying rank within the Shadowling Empire
Quote from: Duckling on February 20, 2013, 06:17:19 PMI am just a bit wary of the use of characteristics like the masks when they're not necessarily appropriate, since that might detract from the integrity of the storytelling with respect to the graphics.
Shadowlings can still wear masks that are not associated with loyality to the Shadowling Queen.  The masks just have to be of a different style than the ones seen in previous games of the series.

Quote from: Duckling on February 20, 2013, 06:17:19 PMScars and other facial apparel are the only variations upon the shadowling I can think of that don't involve new anatomical features.
Besides shadowlings with horns, you can also have shadowlings of different sizes like how Darkling is smaller than Shadowboxer.

Quote from: bugfartboy on February 20, 2013, 08:21:15 PMPerhaps instead of masks there could be gloves?
I think shadowlings with gloves would be kinda odd.  If shadowings are going to use clothes, then I would perfer them to wear bandanas like Niven.  This gives them a cool outlaw or assassin type look.

Shadowlings can also wear hats and crowns like Thallion.

*Edited to keep thread on topic*

ArtDrake

I am starting to feel that unless the kickstarter money stretches like a Borox and glue polymer [though this has already been established as being the assumption upon which any of my input in the matter of supplemental graphics rests], gloves would not necessarily be an effective method of Shadowling differentiation, especially in lieu of other more established and visually notable differences such as horns, coloration, and potentially masks. I am undecided on bandanas.

SmartyPants

Does that still mean that you see extra shadowling sprites as a waste of time and money?
I personally think that having more than one Shadowling spirte is important to storytelling and gameplay as having secondary gender sprites for other classes.

bugfartboy

Looks okay. Perhaps another variation could be the (dare I say it) unihorn shadowling?

SmartyPants

If you really want to see more shadowling sprites, then I suggest voting for "extra NPCs with animated sprites".

Sythion

Both the horned and outlaw Shadowlings looks great, but the unicorn one seems kinda out of place.
Hunger is the best spice.

SmartyPants

Unlike the outlaw and the double-horned shadowling, the unihorn shadowling was intended to be a joke.

What do you think about a new bone mask that covers the entire face?

bugfartboy

The solid bone mask looks interesting. Perhaps we could create variations of it, such as a metal mask shaped like a regular mask.

Sythion

It looks slightly odd, but I could see it working. On a side note, how are you creating these, MS paint or something of the sort?
Hunger is the best spice.