News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

[MOD] - Bugfartboy's Mouse-Based Keyboard

Started by bugfartboy, February 26, 2015, 11:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Important
Due to changes (most likely just hiccups) in the latest versions of Telepath Tactics, this map file no longer operates as it should.  Although I'm attempting to find ways to work around those hiccups, I can't say I have a lot of time to dedicate to this project.  Until then, hold tight!

-bugfartboy

Information
Originally built to allow a player to enter a name for their main character, this mouse-based keyboard has been designed and modularized to be used any time a campaign writer wants text input from their player. It can be used to input and store a theoretically infinite number of characters and concatenate them into one string. Characters supported are letters A through Z both upper and lower case as well as numerals 0 through 9 and a spacebar! For more information, look at README.txt enclosed in the attached zip file.

Comments and bug reporting

[spoiler=Updates]
2015/06/23:
After starting to implement this in my own campaign, I discovered that the way the game stores character data caused this map to clutter up the player's save file with an absurd number of useless character entries.  The map should no longer do this, as all buttons on the map should now "die" before changing scenes.

2015/06/04:
Threw out the original file and rewrote it to take full advantage of recently added Array actions.  The result: Several fewer reserved variables, and no hard limit on the number of character entered! I also recombined the original two zip files into one.

2015/04/30:
Shortened download file names.  Copied the README file from the Data.zip file to Sprites.zip.

2015/04/29:
Changed download sources.  The file is now separated into two files: one for the character sprites and one for everything else.  It is no longer hosted on my personal dropbox account!  Also changed the thread title from [MAP] to [MOD].

2015/03/09:
Fixed a typo in the map file involving MBKReturn. It should work as intended now.  I'm actually embarrassed that I didn't notice it until now.
Also removed unnecessary information from CharClasses.xml in the zip file.
[/spoiler]

CraigStern

bugfartboy

Thanks! Now I just need to find something else to dump my time into.

bugfartboy

Not a really significant update, but one worth noting: I changed download sources.  The file is now separated into two files: one for the character sprites and one for everything else.  It is no longer hosted on my personal dropbox account!  Now I can clean out my Public folder.

bugfartboy

Yup! It can be used for all of that. It's been a while since I've tested it, so there might be some bugs, but I hope to iron them out with feedback.

bugfartboy

Sat down and rewrote the main file.  Now it uses the official array actions (as opposed to the sneaky arrays I originally used).  The end result is fewer reserved variables, and no limit on the number of characters that can be entered.  Overall: the keyboard is much more straightforward than it used to be.

bugfartboy

After starting to implement this in my own campaign, I discovered that the way the game stores character data caused this map to clutter up the player's save file with an absurd number of useless character entries.  The map should no longer do this, as all buttons on the map should now "die" before changing scenes.

CraigStern

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on June 23, 2015, 01:49:13 PM
Ah, good call!
I'll say. By the time I got to the actual game part of my campaign there were over 50  character entries, only one of which was an actual character the player could use.