News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Random Maps I made

Started by LightningLord2, May 06, 2015, 11:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightningLord2

Just a pack of 7 maps for you to try. Unfortunately, there's no preview images =(

Bomberman: A classic layout to fight in. Shoving and barricading just got way more fun.

Huge Lava Cave: At last, six players at once duking it out! In a firey pit of hell!

Island Hopping: Strap on your Steamthopters and go get those little islands!

Relative Staircase: You can go up and down forever... 4 players in a tiny arena, too.

Ritual Chamber: Will the sacred offerings be looted to swing the battle in your favor?

Storm on the Castle: Lay siege or defend in this asymmetric 2-player map.

Yin-Yang Cave: Brigdes keep the small island in balance. Don't fall off.

CraigStern

Nice!

(Quick tip: you can easily create a preview image for each map by loading it up in the game, then hitting Ctrl + F12.)

LightningLord2

Given how I can only post 8 files per post and there's no way for me to attach .rar files, I couldn't upload those anyway - still, thanks.

EDIT: The preview image ends up way too big and a part of the map is cut off, too =(

bugfartboy

If you work quickly enough, you can also spread the downloads across multiple posts.  Post 1 with the maps, post 2 with the previews, post 3 as spillover for 1 and 2, etc.

I think I'll take a look at your maps later tonight!

CraigStern

Quote from: LightningLord2 on May 06, 2015, 12:03:22 PMEDIT: The preview image ends up way too big and a part of the map is cut off, too =(

Sorry, I got that wrong--it's Ctrl + F12, not Shift + F12. Try that instead. :)

LightningLord2

Preview Images ready to be posted:

Seems to have some cutoff if the map isn't square-shaped.

Addendum: How do you feel about maps that heavily favor certain units? (Island Hopping is fun for mentalists and stone golems will rock in the Bomberman map, for instance)

CraigStern

You can make whatever maps you like! It's generally best if most units are useful on a map, of course, but the Map Police aren't going to pull you over if they aren't. ;)

LightningLord2

Quote from: CraigStern on May 06, 2015, 05:43:31 PM
You can make whatever maps you like! It's generally best if most units are useful on a map, of course, but the Map Police aren't going to pull you over if they aren't. ;)

Funny thing is that if a map directly favors certain units, it also makes their counters more useful. However, the main idea with my maps is supposed to be that there's maps you can't use conventional tactics on since other strats are far more powerful now.

EDIT: I'm on a roll! Two maps from other tactics games are here:

Bean Island: The most iconic map of Advance Wars. Makes you wish you had CO Powers.

Tactics 100: Whose 100 point army can win in this small field?

CraigStern

LightningLord2

Summoner's Rift! Fight an epic one on one battle on a map that's 625 tiles big and has you control 18 units!

bugfartboy

Quote from: LightningLord2 on May 08, 2015, 04:07:51 PM
Summoner's Rift! Fight an epic one on one battle on a map that's 625 tiles big and has you control 18 units!
Holy dead cow, that's enormous.  I think I need to download this just so I can see how it runs.

LightningLord2

Update: Forgot to set elevations for Summoner's Rift - fixed that now.

EDIT: Also, I can confirm the map to work just fine for me, even if it did take a while for me to actually get to fight. Leaves quite some time to set up a fortification with Engis.

installdisc

Dear all

Is there a possibiliy to mod the game mechanic. Maximum number of players ude per turn 3 for example.
Is there a possibility to turn off the random generated item sack drops in multiplayer and the fog with it. I can take out in xml the item sack but the fog or dust which appears when it it is dropped down is still there.
Thanks in advance.
I am looking forward to the reply

installdisc

one more question.
Why the characters that i place down mixing randomly?

if I use the map corners i can get an order to be symmetrical but for example i cant make a chess like positioning. first row swordsman and distribute the special characters and the general because if i start the game it is mixed up regardless how i define in the map editor.
anybody met with this problem?

CraigStern

Hey installdisc!

Quote from: installdisc on January 11, 2019, 11:28:42 AMIs there a possibiliy to mod the game mechanic. Maximum number of players ude per turn 3 for example.

Not directly. It might be possible to script something a little bit like that using the dialogue engine, though. You could, for instance, trigger a dialogue with OnCharSelected, have it tick up a Val variable, and use EndConvImmediately; then have another dialogue trigger when the Val variable reaches 4, reset the Val to 0, and end turn. This would limit each player to 3 character selections per turn, which isn't exactly the same thing, but it'd be close!

Quote from: installdisc on January 11, 2019, 11:28:42 AMIs there a possibility to turn off the random generated item sack drops in multiplayer and the fog with it. I can take out in xml the item sack but the fog or dust which appears when it it is dropped down is still there.

In a multiplayer map, fog of war is an option you turn on or off in the match setup screen; I don't believe there is an option to turn off random item drops in multiplayer.

Quote from: installdisc on January 11, 2019, 11:50:51 AMWhy the characters that i place down mixing randomly?

Is this still for the multiplayer map you're making? My guess is that the game is substituting in the player team rosters for the particular characters on the map. If you post the xml file, though, we can take a look at it and see what's happening.