News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

[Bug?] Screen cut off on left and right edges

Started by JeenLeen, June 13, 2015, 09:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeenLeen

I think this has more to do with my computer settings than your actual game, but I'm posting it just in case.  I'm running the game through Steam.

When starting the caravan battle (where the merchants are dead and you can recruit 2 people, fourth battle in the game counting the tutorial), if I choose to look at inventory, I get an image like the below.  It looks like the edges on the left and right aren't showing up, which means I generally can't see the items someone has and can't see my items, nor can I 'x' out of the inventory screen and get back.

Also, during the start screen, part of the link to go to the forums & download campaigns is cut off.  I imagine this is for similar reasons.

When I turn my computer on, it sometimes will take a moment, flicker, and all the icons change size, so sometimes everything is smaller and sometimes it's larger.  It might be it's in the wrong setting to display the game wrong.  (If that's the case and anyone here has any advice, let me know.  I don't see any monitor settings I can mess with that would impact this, but I'm not too tech savvy on hardware.)

EDIT: same thing happened if I went to move items around at the start of the next battle.

Thaliak

I have the same problem. If I tell Windows to use normal icon and text sizes, the problem goes away. To do that in Windows 7:
1. Open the start menu. In the search bar that appears at the bottom of the menu, type "make text."
2. The search should reveal something called "make text and other items bigger or smaller." Click it or hit enter.
3. A window should appear. It has three options for text and icon size: smaller (100%), medium (125%) and larger (150%). Select the smaller option and click the "Apply" button that is beneath the screen mock up to the right of the options.
4. A message box will appear telling you that you need to log off to apply these changes. Save any work you have in other programs and select "Log off now."

When you log back in, Windows' text and icons will be smaller, but Telepath Tactics should look right.

Craig, if there's a way to make the game ignore or accommodate users' text and icon settings, I'd appreciate you implementing it. I can use my computer with the default text and icon sizes, but it takes more effort. Using the default size also shrinks the merchant's dialogue text enough that it's a pain to read.

CraigStern

Oh, weird. I hadn't heard about this before! Have you tried playing in windowed mode--does it happen there as well?

Thaliak

Yes. I've attached a screenshot showing what the title screen looks like in Windowed mode with Windows' text and icon size setting at 150 percent, a screen resolution of 1,600 by 1,200, and Telepath Tactics' minimum info box font size. You'll notice that the text box in the lower left corner and the right side of the window are cut off.

I don't know if there's a way around this problem, and Windows does warn you when you use a larger text and icon size that programs may not fit on screen.

osiris1298

I had this same problem when playing the game initially. Had it at 1600x1200 and the sides were cut off. Switched the screen resolution back to the default setting on my computer which was 1600x900 and everything fit perfectly.