News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Teammates

Started by SmartyPants, March 18, 2010, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you put on your team.

Anya
14 (31.8%)
Darkling
31 (70.5%)
Dorgon
27 (61.4%)
Festus
31 (70.5%)
Flint
20 (45.5%)
Gamblin' Jack
25 (56.8%)
Grotius
31 (70.5%)
Guy
13 (29.5%)
Helena
12 (27.3%)
Niven
22 (50%)
Shadowboxer
32 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Presentiment

I think Shadowboxer, Dorgon, Flint, and Jack are probably the best teammates. Shadowboxer has the only EAA for your team in TRPG2, and he basically massacres low HP enemies.

Dorgon is great both as a finisher and weakener, and can usually kill far away enemies before they reach you. Extremely useful.

Flint, when given all his upgrades, deals OMGWTF damage with Fire Breath, can easily attain 5 speed without sacrificing too much PsP for specials. His regular attacks pack on a whole bunch of hurt as well. A very solid teammate.

Jack is also great, because he has very high HP and Snake Eyes, which can deal ungodly damage depending on your luck.

In order, I think the teammates' usefulness is:

1. Shadowboxer
2. Dorgon
3. Flint
4. Jack
5. Darkling
6. Niven
7. Grotius
8. Helena
9. Festus (although I include him on my team because we need a healer)
10. Anya
11. Guy (altogether pretty bad teammate)

I used to use Grotius on my team before the special version came out, but I find that Dorgon and Flint are more useful than him.

Really though, I could mix n' match all of the teammates except for Guy and Anya, who are, in my opinion, the weakest teammates. Helena is basically Jack with less useful specials. (although Whirlwind is good, albeit expensive) Grotius has good damage and HP, but Dorgon and Flint outclass him.

Darkling is good for getting behind people, and Niven has some good range.

KZ

Ah, similar to who is your favourite teammate thread back in the old days!
Not an easy question, that!
Depends really on who the rest of the team are and what tactics you employ.
I'll go quickly through the list, categorize, etc.
Anya and Festus: healers. I'll go for Festus over Anya due to them having similar attacks, yet Festus having greater map coverage via his ability to fly and his greater speed.
Flint, Dorgon: golems. I'll never choose Flint, although he is fun to tinker around with, and is, in fact, the fastest unit in TRPG2 (by using his speed boost attack, he can attain speed of 13), I find he is a bit cumbersome to use and is, in general, very slow. Dorgon is also slow, but his attacks have a much higher range. So, with same mobility, but much higher range, go for Dorgon.
Gambli' Jack v Helena: melee fighters. Difficult one to call, his Snake Eyes can be pretty good, and he can heal and Recover, but Helena has this smooth all-around Whirlwind attack... Let's split it between them for now.
Guy, Grotius, Shadwoboxer: effectively Psy Fighters. Well, range-wise, Grotius loses out, as his area attack covers the least spaces. He does have high hp though. Guy loses out on mobility and inability to fly, but has Pyro Hail hitting 5 tiles. So, to a degree, Grotius and Guy are almost equal. Now, Shadowboer's attack covers 9 tiles, has same range, and he is a flying unit iwth greater speed (8) than the other two. Go Shadowboxer.
Darkling and Niven: mobile, individual assassins. Niven is a very odd Shadowling indeed, apart from his dodgy taste in food, he uses non-Psy attacks. It can be quite powerful and Trick Shot sure does the trick in some situations where all other units pass up. Both are flying units, Darkling a little faster (9 v 7), Darkling also has Shadow resistance, Niven doesn't. Darkling, however, can only learn either Feedback or Shadow Blast, meaning that in former case he is quite self-reliant, whilst in latter case he posses a good ranged powerful blast, but is quite weak in the health side. Probably Darkling edging Niven very slightly due to mobility.

Ok, I probably would go for a mobile unit, probably with a ranged attack, to sneure that I get the best field coverage. And that means it will likely be Shadowboxer.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Presentiment

It isn't a best teammate thread; its a best teammates thread :)

Though I would prefer the former.

Zackirus

10. Anya
I find that she is too slow and cannot help my units like Shadowboxer and Shadowboxer who are usually behind enemy lines. She also can't attack which thins her usage in battle (Fetus can attack as well as heal). Overall, a very strict, narrow usage character, and the only thing she has over Fetus is long shield, which is not useful in many battles.
9. Guy 
Like Anya, Guy is too slow and is a duplicate of the Main character; expect the main can use the green orb to move nine, and Vengeance which replenishes his own HP. I have never found Pryo Hail that useful, as very few enemies are ever in that position. His Pryo blast is the only thing good about him, and in my team there are little times when there is an open enemy that is two spaces away, (Grotius, Shadowboxer, and Shadowboxer mostly use their 2 spaced moves).
8. Helena
Helena is a copy of Gambling' Jack, her Whirlwind is too expensive and when there are more then four enemies to hit with whirlwind, and they don't die, she usually dies the next turn. Fury is awesome though because it raises her attack but the battle is almost over when she has a good amount of attack, and self heal, which makes my healer have to haul his put over there and heal her.
7. Flint
I have personally never liked Flint. First, without guides of help from someone it can be very hard to get make Flint as strong as he can be. Even when you do get his upgrades some of them like Buss saw, which I never really liked. Flamethrower, which is the same as Grotius attack, but Grotius can Fly and move father (compared to Steam Engine, which only depletes him limited PsP). And the capassitator just raises his PsP (Which can help). He can be good, I know, I just don't like to use him. 
  5. Niven
We get into my Team now, I find Niven only useful as a backup unit, the rest of my Team can easily kill people while (in my team his power is the lowest) he can clean up, if need be. Although his trick shot is pretty usually for taking down bosses and letting my key attacks get in for some meat 

5. Grotius
I find Grotius to be more of a support unit, because of Shadowboxer's speed and shadow porting, he can easily take out almost any enemy, and the first of the team does there's, I usually have Grotius go on a side mission to either A. Kill any enemy left or B. To give my people ice protection, useful, in the boat battles. I only find him as a support unit and only makes up for what my teams doesn't get (kill/damage wise). Whoever if one of My Team mates dies, usually Shadowboxer or Niven, Grotius can easily take his slot and destroy enemies as easily as them.
4. Fetus
I love Fetus, When the battle begin I can have him attack the enemies with his teammates ( I keep all three of my Psy Shadowlings at the same attack and defence) and if the battles continues for too long, I can have him switch over to healing to help my guys brave it out. He is better mobility and he can fly which makes him the best playable healer in the Telepath World.
3. Gamblin' Jack
I find Jack to be one of my most important characters, not only does he have snake eyes (which when the time is right completely thrash the receiver). When you upgrade his Defence enough, he becomes a Healer! Which I find, is useful when I am taking on bosses and high H.P. enemies. He has good health and PsP, the only problem he has is his lack of Mobility.
2. Dorgon
I Really Love Dorgon, With his laser beam, no Healers and Archer's are safe, heck NONE are safe when he has the Lasers. I find that he very really has to get into the action, he as stay behind lines and shot people, which means you don't ave to improve his defence. He is the best ranges unit as he can attacks almost anywhere on the field and stay out of harm's way. The only problem is his speed, but his laser makes up for it.
1. Shadowboxer 
With Shadowboxer, I can take out almost any units and his power can overrun the enemies. What makes his so special is His Speed eight, and dark vortex, which can if put in the right places destroy many enemies. Shadowboxer is by far the greatest characters because of Dark Vortex, and his Speed!

If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

What about Shadowboxer?
And it's him, not Darkling, who uses Dark Vortex. ;)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Zackirus

I always get the two confused sorry, I don't know how to tell them apart but I will change that though...............

2.5 Darkling
Always takes out my targets from behind but some times de dies. has great range and go almost anywhere on the map.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

There are 11 teammates, now you're missing Darkling. ;)
Welcome to the forums!

Zackirus

I just added Him  :P

- Lord Canada

Frosty

My team is this
Shadowboxer: Is he more like a Shadow Guardian, or is it just me?
Darkling: Give him Feedback instead of Shadow Blast, he can easily survive in the back row.
Guy: He has Pyro Blast and Pyro hail, so he is sort of like how I use the Main.
Main (usually named Carl): No duh, of course he is in my team.
Helena: Up Psy Defence and Power, she can go and use Whirlwind a lot in the middle of a ton of enemys.
Niven: More health than any other character when all have the same defence, and Trick Shot helps a lot.
Festus: Mobile healer, and a good one too.
Anya: Healer, and on the Sinisterdesign/CD version, she can learn Long Sheild.
That is my team.
EDIT: Units I don't have, but use from time to time.
Grotius: Overall, I don't like him. I just can't get the feel for him. I only use him 'cause he uses cold attacks(I'm a Minnesotan).
Gamblin' Jack: Here is the guy I ALWAYS use before I get Helena. He is good, but Helena is a step better.
Flint: HATE his low speed. With Steam Engine, I still don't use him that much, because I use Fire Breath A LOT, and Steam Engine doesn't let me do that.
Dorgon: Same as Flint, but he is sort of like Jack for me. I switch him and Niven every now and then.
Favorite Unit Countdown 1-10
1. Anya
2. Festus
3. Helena
4. Gamblin' Jack
5. Darkling
6. Shadowboxer
7. Niven
8. Dorgon
9. Grotius
10. Flint
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

CraigStern

Hey! Someone who uses Anya. Good to see. :D

Barzul

My team is pretty much always:

Darkling
Shadowboxer
Niven
Main
Jack
Helena
Flint
Dorgon

I don't play with healers, I'm more brute strength than finesse. However when I play against the Academy, I put Festus in the fith position so that he can heal the entire team with Big Shield, because theres too much damage flying around with those Light Bombs.

SmartyPants

Quote from: CraigStern on March 19, 2010, 12:12:14 AM
Hey! Someone who uses Anya. Good to see. :D
Even the strongest attacks are not any good, if the character is dead.

Frosty

im2smart4you just said my reasons for ALWAYS using healers. And why is it a big thing that I use Anya?
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Zhampir

I use both Festus and Anya while I plow through with my main and Flint.