News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

To Pay Or Not To Pay?

Started by Steel Ersatz Man, March 21, 2010, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Ersatz Man

Discussion about paying for Telepath games.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

Zackirus

Well I have bad news (for you people who don't have credits cards or parents who are willing to pay) Craig has decided to make Telepath servants of God a game that you must buy, although the demo will surely end up on top gaming sites like Newgrounds and Kongregate
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Zhampir

Craig mentioned he might be taking the demo down soon.

Presentiment

Once I get a credit card...I'll buy it.

If I'm still interested by the time I get one.

Zackirus

Quote from: Zhampir on March 21, 2010, 05:01:51 PM

Whattt!!?!!! He needs people like us to look through the finshed product and make sure it has no glicthes, it works properly and stuff like that!

Quote from: im2smart4u on March 21, 2010, 07:01:42 PM
For me, it depends on what the price is.

If it is between 10-25 I might ask my parents to get it for me, but if its higher than no way
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on March 21, 2010, 07:02:31 PM

Whattt!!?!!! He needs people like us to look through the finshed product and make sure it has no glicthes, it works properly and stuff like that!
It is a little early to shut down the demo, unless he had people to test out the game.

Zackirus

Quote from: im2smart4u on March 21, 2010, 07:04:08 PM
Quote from: Zackirus on March 21, 2010, 07:02:31 PM

It is a little early to shut down the demo, unless he had people to test out the game.

WE! are the people who test out the Game for him!

- Lord Canada

KZ

Craig did say indeed that TSoG, like TPA2 will be a buy-only game.
From what I understand from his comments, at some point, relatively soon, he'll stop undpating the public demo, but I'll be very surprised if that is actually taken down- it probably wouldn't be simply updated, that's all.

Well, Zackirus, it's the same problem all the time, when you are trying to sell a product, in this case- a game, and you have unknown strangers testing it- some may not be very honest and may leak the game elsewhere, pose it as their own work (and try selling it), or simply give it online for free. I am sure Craig will keep it open for as long as possible, but there was this form of feedback from many people which Craig mentioned on the forums: that after playing 90% of the game for free, they didn't feel like buying the whole thing. So, the public demo will probably be open to the same degree as the official free TPA2 demo.

Incidnetally, im2smart4u, did you buy TPA2 in the end?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Presentiment

As long as he doesn't leak the source code/goes for a patent he should be protected from IR crime.

And if he doesn't keep up the updating, it will take far longer to do bug testing as he doesn't have the wide audience testing out the whole game as he would with continuing updates.

Also, if he'd stopped updates, I'd lose interest, and forget about the game, and even if I had a credit card unlikely to buy it.

CraigStern

I'm not going to take down the TSoG demo--what I'm planning to do is transition to a downloadable demo instead of an in-browser one.

Presentiment

Which means updates will end?

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 21, 2010, 07:11:39 PM
Incidnetally, im2smart4u, did you buy TPA2 in the end?
No.  For something that lacks story, it costed too much.  Even for my xbox, if games doesn't have a good, fulfilling story, I won't buy it.

Depending on the price, I might buy or not buy TSoG.

CraigStern