News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

I suppose I can play TRPG2 again.  I've been wanting to anyway.

Is there going to be a limit as to how big custom AOE patterns can be in the future?  Unless I've just not figured it out how to make it bigger quite yet, there's a size constraint, correct?

CraigStern

As of right now, the size limit is 5 X 5; I'll be removing that restriction in the next update, however. ;)

carlosfan666

do you plan on making a new game+ option in telepath tactics like you have had in previous games?

CraigStern

Nah; going through a highly linear campaign with massively overpowered characters isn't quite as much fun as it sounds. (The fun of New Game+, I find, is in getting to explore without having to worry about survival quite as much.)

That said, I might consider updating it at some point to unlock a hard mode after you beat it. :)

bugfartboy

Is there any way to use unicode characters in dialog and scripts? I'm trying to write a script that sets a specific variable to a blank space, and everything I've tried has failed.  If I use simple blank space, the game reads it as having nothing in it, and I haven't been able to find any way to have the game read a unicode string as its respective character.

Is there any way to spawn a character based on its ID tag, either with the SpawnChar action or by default in a map's xml file, or use the ID tag to add a character to the roster?

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on February 20, 2015, 08:46:28 PM
Is there any way to use unicode characters in dialog and scripts? I'm trying to write a script that sets a specific variable to a blank space, and everything I've tried has failed.  If I use simple blank space, the game reads it as having nothing in it, and I haven't been able to find any way to have the game read a unicode string as its respective character.

I don't believe there is at present. Is this as part of your character-naming project?

Quote from: bugfartboy on February 20, 2015, 08:46:28 PMIs there any way to spawn a character based on its ID tag, either with the SpawnChar action or by default in a map's xml file, or use the ID tag to add a character to the roster?

Not presently, no. You can spawn characters based upon their name or their class, but that's about it at present.

bugfartboy

Is this as part of your character-naming project?
Yeah.  I'm trying to think of instances where that capability could come in handy, but the keyboard idea is the only one I can think of.
-EDIT-
Definitely a silly question.  I would think the game's custom font would be a pain to add Unicode support to.

Not presently, no. You can spawn characters based upon their name or their class, but that's about it at present.
Fair enough.  I guess I have a few experiments to do now regarding if the game will recognize a character even though it now has a different name.
-EDIT-
Quoteor their class
Now I feel really silly.  I don't know why I didn't think of this.

CraigStern

No worries. I've definitely considered adding support for spawning characters according to some sort of unique numerical ID on various occasions, but haven't had the need for it yet.

bugfartboy

Was it intentional that when you spawn a unit by it's class name, it's name is set to it's class?

CraigStern

That's intentional for destructible objects; that should not be happening for characters, though.

bugfartboy

We have the SpawnParticlesAt action, but what about a SpawnVFXAt or PlaySFX action? Not a request, just curious.

CraigStern

For sound effects, PlaySound is already an action. I've wanted to add a PlayVFX action to the game for some time, but it would be complicated to make it work due to the structure of the game's code. Currently, it's not supported.

bugfartboy

I was asking about PlaySFX because while PlaySound is useful for playing a single sound, you can't string sounds together with specific timing with it.

That's a bummer about PlayVFX, although I understand the reasoning.

bugfartboy

What is the range of values that can be stored in a single variable in TT?

CraigStern

Numerical variables store integers, so any integer value should work. (Is that what you were asking?)