News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xemadus Echina

theres an edit button you can use to put that info in with your first post.  also i have another question, what are the chances of a multiplayer version of TPA2 or another game like it?  or does it already exist?  I've been thinking of buying it recently.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Duskling

That may be, but we won't find out until later.

CraigStern

Quote from: rainen on May 15, 2010, 11:39:43 AM
you ride a train to work? a real train  or a subway? or a trolly?

It's an elevated train.

Quote from: algebra15 on May 15, 2010, 12:53:20 PM
sorry for double post, but I forgot to add the question. Is there a better way to do this with the structure I've got, or to I have to rip it out and start again with coding for the class?

Yes--if it's something with its own class, just add the onEnterFrame function into that movieclip's class as a method, and refer to the movieclip as this.

Quote from: rainen on May 15, 2010, 01:23:36 PM
theres an edit button you can use to put that info in with your first post.  also i have another question, what are the chances of a multiplayer version of TPA2 or another game like it?  or does it already exist?  I've been thinking of buying it recently.

I definitely would like to do something like that at some point, though it probably won't be TPA2 in particular. (I'd like to take a stab at doing a brand new turn-based tactics engine in AS3 once TSoG is done!)

Duskling

Quote from: CraigStern on May 15, 2010, 11:42:39 PM
I definitely would like to do something like that at some point, though it probably won't be TPA2 in particular. (I'd like to take a stab at doing a brand new turn-based tactics engine in AS3 once TSoG is done!)
What is this "AS3?"

CraigStern

Duskling

CraigStern

Cypher

When did you come up with the idea to do a "forum games" section?

Ertxiem

I think that having a forum games section is pretty standard in the all the forums.
It helps members sticking around, creating a sense of community. In the case of forums related to games in development, it helps keeping people here without getting (too much) bothered while waiting for updates (by the way, when will the last mission be completed? Today??? :D Just joking. I know it will be tomorrow. Again, joking.)
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Cypher

I believe the Naughty Dog forums don't have a games section.

CraigStern

If I'm not mistaken, someone requested it at one point back on the old forums. Since it was so popular, I carried it over onto the new forums as well.

Cypher

Duskling

How did you come up with the whole Telepath RPG idea in the first place?

algebra15

I've finally seen the light and started to program in AS3.

The thing is, I was making a menu system, a level screen, and an options screen; I test out the whole thing, and the entire screen is black (that's my background colour), so while no actual errors have shown up, my main menu isn't showing up. Since I can't actually put my code here (it would take up several pages -- you know AS3), do you know of a general cause or type of cause that would do this?
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

CraigStern

There's a bunch of things that could cause that problem, and it's hard to say which it is without seeing the code. The most basic ones I can think of are:

1) Not having a class with the same name as the Document Class you set in Flash;
2) Not having a class method with the same name as that class (you need this so that it will run as soon as the program is executed and attach your main menu);
3) Doing 1 and 2 correctly, but not using proper code to attach the main menu in the class method.