News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

shadowling life span

Started by torugo, June 03, 2010, 08:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Mmmm, I have to go along mike781 here- I think it's pretty clear from the dialogue and her personality that she'll want to show off a little and use the most impressive stats on hand- 3 awards in 20 years sounds probably more impressive than "just" 3 in 50. Plus, no one really includes time before their birth, unless they add something to the extent of "no one, apart from me recently managed to..." Whilst the dialogue implies that she personally participated in 50 contests (or more/less, depending how often they take place) throughout all these years. And it has been hinted before in TRPG2 that Shadowlings live for much longer than humans, so 50 years might seem like a little time to them.

The way Shadowboxer and Darkling refer to Nelis, and the implication that she lived for thousands of years is indicative of Shadowling lifespan being much shorter, say in the lower hundreds (they mention rumours, almost myths, that she created a Shadowling race, and look at how much Nelis is different physiologically, at least outwardly, from the other Shadowlings- surely both these things take a lot of time and a lot of generation changes of species to take place?).
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Tastidian

Quote from: mikew781 on July 06, 2010, 11:07:52 AM
Quote from: Tastidian on July 06, 2010, 01:08:47 AM
You know I noticed that malis said over the past 50 years she won three awards but that doesn't mean she existed that long.
So....... you're saying that she can win awards but not exist?

No not at all what I meant. I mean she could have won those awards over just that time period. It doesn't mean she has only lived that long.

If i missed something in the dialog I missed that points out she has lived only that long do tell cause that will clear this up.

Bromtaghon

So, if I understand correctly, when you said
Quote from: Tastidian on July 06, 2010, 01:08:47 AM
You know I noticed that malis said over the past 50 years she won three awards but that doesn't mean she existed that long.

you mean, Malis said she won three awards in 50 years, but that doesn't mean she's only lived 50 years? I think that's actually pretty obvious.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Tastidian

Yes I'm referring to her she could be 100 for all we know

KZ

I think it is pretty safe to assume that she didn't participate in the beauty contests since she was a newborn. Making an analogy with humans, it would seem logical that she'd reach the age of circa 20 and go until  30+ human year equivalnets in participating in those beauty contests. Giving that she is just going purple, judging from her reaction about her colour, I'd say that she'd be around 40-45 in human year equivalents. This might be used to get a rough estimates of how long shadowlings can live for, though there is that issue of Lala saying that Shadowlings age in a much more slower fashion- whether that translates nicely into the human lifespan-shadowling lifespan relative ratios of how long each species lives (ie they're considered as "old" for the same proportion of their lives as humans are), or whether she compares the direct number of years spent in the "aging" category, is unknown.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!