News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

It has to do with how the capture battles are coded. The objective is to capture the enemy alive, so it interprets the death of the enemy as a loss. I should probably change it at some point, but it's lower priority right now than getting game content done.

SmartyPants

Before you fixed a bug, Festus gave troops for capturing Hellion.  What made you decide that Shadowling Republic gives gold instead of soldiers?

CraigStern

It seemed like a good way to introduce the Helenites as a means for procuring troops, if you hadn't caught on to them via the book piles from the crypts. (Also, name-dropping Festus reduces the cost of hiring mercenaries dramatically; it's actually a better reward than just getting a fixed number of troops, if you want to use the Helenites as a source of soldiers.)

SmartyPants

I did notice that the price quadruples without Festus's help.
On a side note, it a bug that the Mechanic Base didn't show up on the map after reading the crypt books?

Can you make a map for Somnus like Ravinale?

CraigStern

Not a bug--just a thing I haven't gotten around to yet.

I can, but it's a low priority.

Deagonx

Say I was an aspiring young boy who wanted to become talented at flash, and he asked his idol Craig Stern how he got around to learning flash, what would you say to me?
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

CraigStern

Quote from: Deagonx on January 05, 2012, 04:24:46 PM
Say I was an aspiring young boy who wanted to become talented at flash, and he asked his idol Craig Stern how he got around to learning flash, what would you say to me?

Find some good tutorials to help you, and practice, practice, practice! Start by making very small games; they are much faster to make, and you'll learn a lot with every game you make, so it pays to make a lot of them relatively quickly at first. Don't make something big like an RPG until later.

(I am a huge hypocrite, of course, because I started off by making Telepath RPG: Chapter 1. In retrospect, however, that was probably a mistake. I would have learned to program much faster if I'd started off with more, smaller, easier projects first.)

bugfartboy

Say that that aspiring young boy sorta had a friend online, who was also attempting to become talented at flash, but was so far in the dark, that he didn't know where to begin?

CraigStern

Tutorials; that's how I started. If you look at the bottom of this post, I link to several places where you can find beginner's tutorials.

SmartyPants

*How did the Cult hide the books in the fourth cypt, if "no man has successfully mapped the thing"?
*Are all the cypts from the same civilization/time period?

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on January 07, 2012, 06:28:16 PM
*How did the Cult hide the books in the fourth cypt, if "no man has successfully mapped the thing"?
*Are all the cypts from the same civilization/time period?

1) You'll see. ;)
2) They are not all from the same group, necessarily, but (with the exception of Crypt 4) they spring from a shared culture of honoring and protecting the dead that was present in the region for hundreds of years.

Zackirus

If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

I used the phrase "flavor cut scene" to denote the cut scene equivalent of flavor text. That is: a cut scene with nothing of importance to the story, just there to add character to the setting.

SmartyPants

TSoG seems to have many themes relating to the threat a military opposes to democracy.  What is your opinion on Obama signing a law that allows indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens?

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on January 10, 2012, 08:46:59 PM
TSoG seems to have many themes relating to the threat a military opposes to democracy.  What is your opinion on Obama signing a law that allows indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens?

I think it's appalling. A small smattering of senators from both parties voted no in the Senate, but otherwise the support for it was pretty much uniform. In the House, Democrats were split down the middle and the strong majority of Republicans voted for it. Regardless of party affiliation, I am extremely disappointed by everyone involved in approving that bill.