News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics - opinions

Started by Ertxiem, May 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelfist

Merely mentioning; I tried to look at the gameplay video, but it had been 'removed by the user'. Intentional?

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 17, 2012, 02:59:01 PM
Do the teams have to be free-for-all?

They are right now; I'd like to add in alliances, however.

CraigStern

All right: I've decided to add in a dynamic alliance system to the game. On your turn, you can propose an alliance to another player; when that player's turn comes around, he or she can accept or reject the offer. Allies win the game collectively. This formalizes a dynamic I already saw arising spontaneously in maps with lots of players: namely, players agreeing to work together against another player they were more threatened by. It allows for any sort of permutation of players alliances, and allows political maneuvering to enter the game in full force.

It'll be an option in the game creation menu--you can, of course, choose to leave it off.

bugfartboy

That'll be interesting. :) Now I really can't wait to see how the game comes out.

Steelfist

An interesting concept. Are there any restrictions on if you can attack an ally? For instance, can a person propose alliance, then attack when their ally least expects it?

CraigStern

Quote from: SteelFist on April 19, 2012, 10:35:53 AMcan a person propose alliance, then attack when their ally least expects it?

Yes.

SmartyPants

After playing TRPG2, TPA2, and TSoG, I learned that one Psy Healer isn't enough.  Psy Healers being randomly assigned 1 out of 22 times is too infrequent.  To solve this, you could either increase the chance Psy Hearler are put on a team or create another healing unit (Maybe add horns to a shadowling sprite and call it a "Shadowling Healer").

I wondering how elemental shields would work.  It would be an interesting mechanic if elemental shields could increase one resistance, while decreasing another resistance.  For example, a Heat Shield could increase heat resistance by 20%, while decreasing cold resistance by 10%.

Is there anyway to have alliances fixed before the match begins?  Making and betraying allies would work for deathmatches, but it would kinda beat the point for game types like Capture the Flag.

Duskling

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 19, 2012, 07:11:46 PM
After playing TRPG2, TPA2, and TSoG, I learned that one Psy Healer isn't enough.  Psy Healers being randomly assigned 1 out of 22 times is too infrequent.  To solve this, you could either increase the chance Psy Hearler are put on a team or create another healing unit (Maybe add horns to a shadowling sprite and call it a "Shadowling Healer").
Teammates are randomly assigned? While this will strain our minds to develop all sorts of tactics on the field (And strategies off the field) I think randomly assigned teammates should be an option (And one players should all agree to before starting, at that). If I interpreted that incorrectly, I apologize.

CraigStern

Random army assignment is only one option among many (and not even the default army composition method). Look at this post for the full listing of army composition options.

Steelfist

This alliance system intrigues me; are you going to offer game modes where you can't win collectively, to encourage backstabbing (This would further than political aspect you mentioned)? And are you going to restrict the number of possible alliances, to prevent players simply all allying together and all achieving victory?

CraigStern

Quote from: SteelFist on April 20, 2012, 12:49:49 PM
This alliance system intrigues me; are you going to offer game modes where you can't win collectively, to encourage backstabbing (This would further than political aspect you mentioned)?

I think the backstabbing will happen just fine on its own. ;)

And are you going to restrict the number of possible alliances, to prevent players simply all allying together and all achieving victory?

Yes--you won't be able to form an alliance with the last player who isn't allied with you.

Steelfist

Quote from: CraigStern on April 20, 2012, 02:16:16 PM
This alliance system intrigues me; are you going to offer game modes where you can't win collectively, to encourage backstabbing (This would further than political aspect you mentioned)?

I think the backstabbing will happen just fine on its own. ;)

I somehow doubt that; if there's no benefit but amusement to betraying an ally, it'll be rare. After all, what's the point if everyone in the alliance can all win?

Ertxiem

If the winners receive points (or some other reward), divided equally (or not) by the allies, then I can foresee that some may be willing to betray their allies in order to get more points. In particular, this may happen if the points are divided by a number larger than the number of allies (for instance, by n+1).
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Quote from: SteelFist on April 20, 2012, 02:54:09 PMI somehow doubt that; if there's no benefit but amusement to betraying an ally, it'll be rare.

I can imagine situations where there could be a benefit. Suppose that someone in the alliance is weakened, and someone outside of the alliance makes a play to replace them, perhaps by offering some items gathered from the battlefield as an enticement. That would be a situation where backstabbing might well happen.