News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics dialog editor

Started by CraigStern, January 30, 2013, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

That root access thing...I don't believe that's a setting I control. (Frankly, I'm not even sure what that is in Linux.)

Were you able to get the map editor working?

ExplodingBanana

Quote from: CraigStern on May 04, 2013, 08:33:14 AM
That root access thing...I don't believe that's a setting I control. (Frankly, I'm not even sure what that is in Linux.)

Were you able to get the map editor working?

I found this page that has a reply from Adobe to this issue: http://blogs.adobe.com/ashutosh/2009/03/air_applications_and_root_acce.html

So it's something only Adobe can control. Too bad. Anyway, I did install them both as root and ran the editor too, but it didn't have any tiles to use for the maps. I'm a bit confused by the advice in the backer mail that said to copy the map editor directory and paste it to the data directory of the game... I could understand if we were to copy the data directory and paste it to the map editor directory. It's just a bit counter-intuitive to me.

CraigStern

Right. The way the map editor works, it looks for the Tiles, Objects and Characters subfolders within the Data subfolder of the Telepath Tactics install directory. So if the map editor isn't actually located within the Data subdirectory, it won't find those folders and won't load the Tiles, Objects and Characters that it needs. That's why you have to move it there.

mirromaru

I'm trying to install the map editor on Mac, but even though I tried first copying the map editor .app into the Telepath Tactics Folder (via "show package contents" and then copying it into the package, I don't know if that was what I was supposed to do?) and after that didn't work I tried making a new "Data" Folder with copying all the stuff from the Telepath Tactics Data folder I wasn't able to get it to work. Any suggestions what I should do?

CraigStern

I need to test it out on a Mac to be sure, but my gut instinct is that you should have more than just an app file in the map editor install directory; make sure you copy everything from there into the Data folder.

mirromaru

Sorry, I guess my wording was kinda confusing. What I meant was: I didn't copy the .app file, I meant the package contents inside the .app file.

Anyways, after being frustrated with it not working I tried to install it again today - and now it at least partly works! Still don't know what the problem was because I didn't do anything different except for downloading the latest files. Vodoo I guess. I can make a map and add tiles, but I still can't add objects or characters. The dialog editor is working though. Anything I could have done wrong/missed/forgotten? I really can't think of any reason why everything except for adding characters and objects should work. Help appreciated, is there really no one else using a Mac here? :)

CraigStern

It's hard for me to tell without seeing what you've done. What happens when you click to add objects or characters? Does it show you a blank gray box?

I think I miiiiight know the problem. I've just updated the AIR installer; see if the newer version fixes it. (Note: the only thing from the .app file you will really need to update should be the swf file.)

mirromaru

Unfortunately not. Now I'm back to "can make a new map but can't paint anything or add anything".  There is no menu, no reaction to me clicking the button whatsoever. I'm kinda out of ideas what I could change. I don't know if, by luck, I copied something somewhere that made half of it work last time (I though I'd done everything as I did the last time) or if it was what you updated this time, anyways I now can't even select tiles anymore. If you need screenshots let me know. I'm looking forward to trying out the map editor, although I understand if this isn't exactly top priority on your "to do"-list :)

CraigStern

Okay, stay tuned; I'm going to see if I can get a friend to bring a Mac over so I can test it out myself.

mirromaru

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately I (on Mac) still get an error, I attached a screenshot of it. Is there anything I can do to solve this? If not I'll be waiting for the next update :)

CraigStern

Aha! Well now I at least know what the problem is--it's the fact that Mac OS buries the subfolders of a program in several extra subdirectories of crap. I'll see if I can figure out a solution to that. :)