News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics - opinions

Started by Ertxiem, May 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

I completely overlooked that, the sad thing being that the Devlog is the only thread on the site I have notifications enabled for.

JeenLeen

If I've made any mods to the text files or created new text files for modding, will those modifications be preserved when I download a new version of the installer and click to Update?

I can easily save any mods in a seperate location if that is a danger, but I wanted to check.

bugfartboy

From my experience, no. If you want to save them, keep a copy in a seperate location.

CraigStern

If you're working on a new campaign / new multiplayer maps, make sure they're saved in Documents > My Games > Telepath Tactics > User Campaigns and Documents > My Games > Telepath Tactics > User Multiplayer Maps; those should survive a reinstall.

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on May 15, 2013, 10:32:08 PM
I thought this would be hard to add, but guess what? I figured out how to make a really simple exploration mode work in Telepath Tactics with just 10 minutes of tinkering. It's really darn basic, but it gets the job done.

Just like Kill-All Victory, Exploration Mode is a condition with only one parameter: true or false. Here's how you turn it on:

<Condition>Exploration Mode,true</Condition>

When exploration mode is turned on, it automatically turns off the Kill-All Victory setting, turns off features like undo, rotate and end turn, makes it so none of your characters lose steps while moving, and gives everyone a move range of 10. (It's kinda like this, except without the limited move range and without ending your turn on you every three seconds.)

This is going to become a lot more robust once I add in player-triggered conversations and space-dependent dialog/script triggers--but for now, it's a start. :D
Darn you Craig. Just as I was about to make a proof-of-concept improvisational "exploration mode", you do this to me! But I like that you're working towards it!

~Edit~
I went ahead and made one anyway. :D

~~Edit~~
You could theoretically use more than one "opponent" to talk to, but you'd need unique character names for all of them,

ArtDrake

I'd just like to take this moment to point out that I'm thrilled that TT's campaign creation and documentation has officially become extensive enough that I am incapable of understanding it purely through osmosis -- I would actually have to pay attention to know all the things to know about it, and this thrills me; to me, it signifies that the game is a fully-featured, very professional endeavor.

I apologize for the implication that it wasn't before, but I just haven't been getting that vibe with the games up until now [no worries, I still bought TSoG eventually]. So now, TT is a must-buy, and not merely something I'd like to buy in order to patronize [the support meaning, not the being patronizing meaning] a cool indie game developer.

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on May 26, 2013, 02:39:41 PM
Update! I have finally cast the much-disliked Right-Click Context Menu into the fires of Mount Doom. In its place, right-clicking an empty spot on the battlefield now deselects the current character.

To handle the functions that were previously in the right-click menu, there is a new menu accessible from the Actions window. Whenever no character is selected, click the "Gear" button that appears--it will open the new menu.

The installers have been updated.
Just from reading this, I'm not sure what I think of removing the right click menu. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps it could be returned as an option?

JeenLeen

Quote from: bugfartboy on May 26, 2013, 10:22:33 PM
Quote from: CraigStern on May 26, 2013, 02:39:41 PM
Update! I have finally cast the much-disliked Right-Click Context Menu into the fires of Mount Doom. In its place, right-clicking an empty spot on the battlefield now deselects the current character.

To handle the functions that were previously in the right-click menu, there is a new menu accessible from the Actions window. Whenever no character is selected, click the "Gear" button that appears--it will open the new menu.

The installers have been updated.
Just from reading this, I'm not sure what I think of removing the right click menu. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps it could be returned as an option?

I felt iffy about it when I read it, too, but after seeing it in play I like it.  Right-clicking brought up a toolbar, from which you can get to the options that were in the earlier menu.  It makes it a lot harder to surrender or quit by accident.

CraigStern

Quote from: JeenLeen on May 28, 2013, 01:16:49 PMIt makes it a lot harder to surrender or quit by accident.

Yes, this.

Also, I got very consistent complaints from folks who thought they were accessing something they weren't supposed to rather than an actual in-game menu; and once they realized that it was an in-game menu, complaints that it felt unprofessional and janky because it was just a default system menu.

Just about all of the functions of the right-click menu are now accessible from the Actions window, and the few that aren't have hotkeys. Not a huge loss, I hope. ;)

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on June 06, 2013, 10:55:02 PM
The people cried out for nicer-looking edge tiles, and the gods of Telepath Tactics looked upon them and smiled! Behold: beautiful new Cave tiles, now in progress!
Were those (Dare I say it) ledge tiles?

CraigStern

Yeeeeeup. Soon, we'll be able to have elevation effects in caves. ;)

bugfartboy

I must say, since the modding guide was made nearly complete, I've been having fun designing maps with different lights and such.

SmartyPants

Are doors able to be opened?  After not being able to figure out how to open them, I usually get frustrated and just destroy the door.

I was reading the "CharClasses" xml file, and I been wondering why "Drill" is the Bronze Golem's third attack, yet the attack isn't in the "Attack" xml file.

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on June 07, 2013, 04:27:48 PM
I must say, since the modding guide was made nearly complete, I've been having fun designing maps with different lights and such.

Good!

Quote from: SmartyPants on June 07, 2013, 06:59:25 PM
Are doors able to be opened?  After not being able to figure out how to open them, I usually get frustrated and just destroy the door.

Openable doors aren't supported just yet; that's planned for the future. (For now, you can stick an OnReachingSpace trigger next to the door, give the player the option to "open" it, then use RemoveFromCoords on the door if they choose "Yes.")

Quote from: SmartyPants on June 07, 2013, 06:59:25 PMI was reading the "CharClasses" xml file, and I been wondering why "Drill" is the Bronze Golem's third attack, yet the attack isn't in the "Attack" xml file.

Drill was originally planned for the Bronze Golem, but I changed my mind before it came time to actually create it as an attack.

SmartyPants

I love the look of the lizardmen portraits!  They look like a mix between a velociraptor and a komodo dragon, while still seeming vaguely human.