News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics - opinions

Started by Ertxiem, May 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you! This just made one of my currently abandoned projects a little easier!

SmartyPants

I laughed at the shadow-using gif, because my juvenile side made me imagine the shadow-user being slapped for being a groper.

CraigStern

Heh. Okay, that made me chuckle. :P

bugfartboy

Attacks like Douse seem to be a little overpowered.  In the Guard Llama campaign, it is all too easy to simply fireproof your units while leveling Anu Partymember.  Maybe adding a limit to how long the effects last would solve it.  After all, someone could only stay wet for so long.

CraigStern

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll keep that in mind for later balancing. ;)

bugfartboy

Something I've noticed when playing around with attack configurations: It's actually possible to have a damaging attack heal its target.  If one uses an attack from a far enough range, the attack ends up doing negative damage.  Take my "Gaze" attack for example:

<Atk elem="Mental" name="Gaze" d="0" cst="1" minRng="1" maxRng="9" shkMag="0" skhTim="0" strD="0" powD=".75" defD="0" backstabFactor="0" sidestabFactor="0" selfHealFactor="0" selfFocusFactor="0" accMod="0" statFX="None" affects="Health" afterAtk="EndTurn" AOE="single" particles="Sparks" targeting="free" moveType="Normal" knockback="0" creates="" createdOnTeam="" dependsUpon="" impactFrame="-9" soundAndFX="SFX[Charge Up:0],SFX[Mind Blast:8],VFX[MentalEffect:OnTargets:12]" desc="Psych out your enemy"></Atk>

Starting at space 8 you begin doing --1 points of damage.  At space 9 you begin doing --3.  It's just something interesting I noticed a few minutes ago.

EDIT: This has recently been FIXED

bugfartboy

I'm having difficulty getting the OnCharSelect dialog trigger to work correctly.  I've been using the instance of it in "Training" as a guide, but I can't seem to get it to cooperate, even when I simply copy/paste from Training into my test map.

CraigStern

Attach a copy of your test map and I'll look at it.

bugfartboy

It's a sort of proof of concept map.  I'm shooting at a GUI attached to relatively invisible dialog to alter certain variables within a campaign.  While I love how powerful the dialog system is, I'm trying to use it in a way that's not as text based.

Sorry for all of the complaints.  I'm likely just missing something obvious.

CraigStern

Ah! That's it. The documentation states that there is an optional second parameter for the character's name, but it doesn't seem to exist in the code. I'll fix that.

bugfartboy

Just updated and removed the second "parameter" from the dialog trigger.  It still doesn't seem to want to work.  I think I might just be missing something.

EDIT: Interesting.  I went into my CharClasses file and changed all of the unit speeds from 0 to 1.  When I launched that particular map the "OnCharSelect" trigger started working.

bugfartboy

I got my proof of concept map working: I managed to pull together a Graphical User Interface using dialog actions and triggers.  This is just a basic one that I'm going to use in other projects, but it can be reworked to do basically anything. 
I designed the arrow sprite sheet myself, and I'm kind of happy with how it turned out.    If you want to see things as intended, you'll need to put DirArrow_REST in "\Data\Characters\REST" in your installation directory. 

There's nothing after the Stat Selection map.  You'll need to use Ctrl + Shift + Q to escape to the title screen or Alt + F4 to close TT completely if you're on a PC.

EDIT: Corrected typos and logic errors in the map dialog.

bugfartboy

I spent most of my day and night working on it, but I managed to put together a way for players to input text into the game!  Because Telepath Tactics was lacking in the area of keyboard input, prompts such as "Name your character" were next to impossible.  Not anymore!  This particular instance of my mouse-based keyboard supports up to 11 characters, although it would be a very simple matter to increase that number to a relatively large amount.  The keyboard features all 26 basic characters, a backspace button, and even a Capslock button! 

One thing that I'm relatively proud of is the fact that none of the keys or buttons are expressly declared in "CharClasses.xml".  Blank characters were spawned and then edited by scripts that run when you load the map.  By blank I mean devoid of all but the basics such as sprites and specific names.  (As a side note, my copy of the map I uploaded previously now runs on the same principle.  They share a CharClasses file, and none of the buttons are declared inside of it.)

CraigStern

Ha! That's super-impressive; well done!

I'd be really interested to see the code for that. :D

bugfartboy

It's probably not as efficient as it could be, but it's what I managed to push out in about 12 hours.  When I get caught up on homework I might go through as see how I could optimize it.  I'll PM you the map file.