News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Suggestion for ranged attacks

Started by Thaecrasis, May 01, 2015, 09:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thaecrasis

Ranged attacks (bow or spell) that have to pass over small obstacles or characters, or arced shots passing over large obstacles will have slightly reduced accuracies depending on how many obstacles/characters the attack has to pass over. This would be a basic Cover mechanic, to entice firing positions behind cover for archers or psy users, and would add further use for engineers in doing so, by placing barricades for cover.

Thoughts?

CraigStern

I thought about doing something like that early on in the game's development, but I chose to stick with damage fall-off to keep things primarily deterministic. And as for adding it now, well, I'm wary about making big changes to the combat engine at this point due to the high risk of introducing new bugs.

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on May 02, 2015, 11:00:54 AM
due to the high risk of introducing new bugs.
What? You don't love the thrill and frustration of bug hunting?

CraigStern

It's more frustration than thrill, unfortunately. :P

user716

I was thinking it would be nice if someone made a mod that allowed ranged attacks ie: arrows elemental blasts etc to be fired point-blank

bugfartboy

Quote from: user716 on May 02, 2015, 05:47:43 PM
I was thinking it would be nice if someone made a mod that allowed ranged attacks ie: arrows elemental blasts etc to be fired point-blank

This? This is easy. I'll have something up when I get the chance.

user716