News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What does KZ mean?

Started by Frosty, March 13, 2010, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Quote from: mikew781 on May 01, 2010, 07:43:51 AM
Quote from: torugo on April 30, 2010, 09:06:52 PM
2. this topic is not to find out who kz is. this topic was made to find out what kz means.
And most of us appear to believe that KZ is an abbreviation for his name
I don't

Zhampir

though, you must admit, the evidence for this is difficult to ignore.
By now, I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

torugo

2. this topic is not to find out who kz is. this topic was made to find out what kz means.
not about the kkz who is a member of these forums. the name of the team that you fight in telepath psy arena 2 that also has the name kz.
mock the pheonix you will burn

Ertxiem

Or an abbreviation of his ("real life") nickname.

Or (lets go crazy) an abbreviation of his favourite animals: the koala and the zybollica spider. I heard he likes them with roasted potatoes and onions. :)
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Xemadus Echina

or maby the information can be found on his facebook page :O
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Guye

Zybollica spiders? Really? Everybody knows they taste AWFUL with onions. Besides KZ is clearly a reference to KZ's favorite bar, the Karaoke Zucchini.

Tastidian

Quote from: im2smart4u on May 01, 2010, 08:49:43 AM
I don't

I don't either I think it would be stupid if he did so.

KZ
Get Babylon's Translation Software

I don't remember if this was posted already there are so many

KZ
KZ or kz may stand forISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code and Internet TLD for Kazakhstanthe IATA code for Nippon Cargo Airlinesabbreviation of the German word Konzentrationslager (which is a literal translation of the English term concentration camp) Kramme & Zeuthen, Danish aeroplane builders (see Skandinavisk Aero Industri)Kuhns Zeitschrift, the former name of Historische Sprachforschung, a journal of historical linguistics.
See more at Wikipedia.org...

kz
.kz is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Kazakhstan.Registrations can be made directly at the second level (with no requirement of Kazakhstan presence) or at the third level beneath categories which have specific restrictions, and are generally limited to Kazakhstan-related entities. The categories are:ORG.KZ - nonprofit organizationsEDU.KZ - licensed educational organizationsNET.KZ - Licensed networks of data communicationsGOV.KZ - Governmental organizationsMIL.KZ - Ministry of DefenseCOM.KZ - Commercial organizations; registered trademark protection
See more at Wikipedia.org...
You know at this point i would just start guessing the most randomness thing

My Source: http://www.babylon.com/definition/KZ/English

Duskling

-Assuming that KZ is, indeed, Russian, I believe his name is a combination of Konstantin Chernenko and Grigory Zinoviev, both being famous Russians, one being a politician and a general, the other a politician and a revolutionary, probably the reason that he might have chosen this name, which is Konstantin Zinoviev: KZ, for short. Am I close?

P.S. Be careful, CraigStern, if KZ really is a revolutionary, then you might have a problem... :D

-Another assumption that KZ is Russian: Kremlin's Zealot. Am I in the dark here?

-King (of) Zealand? (He may like Zea/eland and wants to be its king)

-Kolko Zero? (He uses Kolko as his profile name in TSoG, and zero is a number that sounds cool)

-King Zilch? (He's the king of nothing  :P)

-Kinetic Zealousy? (He may be zealous everywhere he goes, or he feels zealousy is upon him everywhere he goes)

-Kiosk Zero? (He may run a kiosk which is codenamed: kiosk zero)

-Khaki Zipper? (He may like khakis and maybe even more so playing with their zippers)

-Kenels' Zorro? (Since Zorro is kind of like Robin Hood, I think, he saves kenels from the evil government and whatnot)

-King Zack (his name maybe Zack and he may think himself the king of something)

-Kiev's Zealousy? (A random guess, courtesy of your's truly!)

-Ke'gyce (Mando'a for "command" or "order") Завтра (Russian for "tomorrow") (the letter that looks like a 3 is the Russian "Z")

This is pretty likely, since when/if CraigStern leaves/dies KZ will be there to take his place, plus it can also refer to him keeping these forums from falling apart as in "He will keep tomorrow in order."

If not, then: Команда (Russian for "command") Завтра (as previously stated, Russian for "tomorrow")

-Kandosii (Mando'a for "indomitable") Zealot

-Kangaroo Zero (he may be a secret agent with the codename "kangaroo zero")

-King's (as in CraigStern's) Zealot

-Kills Zebras (Probably because he hates the "zebra" assumptions of the "Z" in "KZ"(oh, the irony!))

-Kolko Zulu (He uses the name "Kolko" and he may like the Rainbow Six series, as in "the Zulu code")

-An abbreviation for Kamikaze?

-Killer Zorro (Well... he may like to kill things, and I saw that he mentioned Zorro previously)

-Knows Zero (He may be very modest)

Tastidian

Duskling you post to often you took up one whole page

Tastidian

I found something that interest me in this enigma. If you look at the letters K Z in Russian it looks like this K 3 (Standard English Keyboard)  or К З (Standard Russian Key Board) Looks exactly like a three and a k. But the letters name in Russian, K(К) is kah and the Z(З) is zeh. Pronounced in English is, for the Z(З) z in zoo for the K(К) is k in kitten.

Here is a crash course on Russian so its easy to understand.

http://www.ic.arizona.edu/ic/atheneum/russianalphabet.html

Or you can look at this. Most of what is written here is from the website but i deleted a few unnecessary and added a little. Also all the things I added is in quotes

Guide to the Russian Alphabet

Newcomers often think the Russian alphabet is a major obstacle to learning the language, but it is the least of your worries! In fact, you can learn the alphabet—meaning you can recognize the English equivalents of all the Russian letters—inside one hour. It takes much longer, of course, to learn how to pronounce Russian letters correctly, whether in isolation or grouped together in words and phrases.

A much more expensive way of improving your pronunciation is to visit Russia. If you take that step, get all the essential shots (Russia and Eastern Europe are medical danger zones at the moment) and be very careful while walking around because, sadly, Moscow and other major Russian cities now resemble most American cities as centers of violence and (organized) crime.

But to return to our project, which is merely to learn how to recognize the letters of the Russian alphabet within one hour. Being able to read words would be a great help if you were visiting Russia as a tourist, not as a student.

Here is the Russian alphabet, which consists of 32 letters instead of our 26, so we have to do some maneuvering in order to provide English equivalents to all the Russian letters (and of course the sounds). Rough pronunciation equivalents are given only as a guide. One advantage you will notice at once: the Russian alphabet is a much more reliable guide to pronunciation than our English alphabet (as you can tell from some multiple English equivalent sounds to one Russian consonant).

At this point we are focusing only on printed letters. Reading Russian handwriting—as in any language—is a different matter entirely. It is a skill that comes with practice.

Russian Letters

English Equivalents

[spoiler]
А, а

A [as first 'a' in 'marmelade' never as 'a' in 'mat']

Б, б

B

В, в

V [this is one of the trick letters!]

Г, г

G [as in 'good' never 'ginger']

Д, д

D

Е, е

YEH [no 'h' sound; the 'y' sound is more noticeable after a vowel or when it is the first letter in a word]*

Ж, ж

ZH [harsher than 'j' in 'jejune'

З, з

Z

И, и

I [closer to the vowel sound in 'feet' than in 'fit']

Й, й

Y [as in 'boy' or 'bay']

К, к

K

Л, л

L

М, м

M

Н, н

N

О, о

O [as in 'tot' never as in 'tote']**

П, п

P

Р, р

R [must be trilled; get a Russian to show you]

С, с

S

Т, т

T

У, у

U [like 'oo' in 'book' never like 'u' in 'hut' or like 'you'—Russian has another letter for the 'you' sound]

Ф, ф

F

Х, х

KH [like 'ch' in German 'Buch' or Scottish 'Loch']

Ц, ц

TS [as in 'tsetse fly']

Ч, ч

CH [as in 'church'

Ш, ш

SH

Щ, щ

SHCH [as in 'fresh cheese']

Ъ, ъ

'Hard sign' [ignore it]

Ы, ы

I [as in 'bit' or 'dim']

Ь, ь

'Soft sign' [ignore it]

Э, э

E [as in 'bet' never as in 'beet']

Ю, ю

YU

Я, я

YA
[/spoiler]

* Think of the name Yeltsin. The Russian letter Е is sometimes pronounced YO when it is the stressed syllable in a word. Strictly speaking, in such cases the letter should have two dots over it; for example, ёлка ['yolka' = Christmas tree]. However, Russians are supposed to know when to say 'yo' and so the two dots are omitted, except in rare cases. So it is not really thought of as the 33rd letter in the alphabet.

** When it is not in the stressed syllable the letter 'о' is pronounced more like 'а'. So, for example, the word for 'water' is 'вода'—pronounced 'vada' not 'voda'. In other words, an unstressed 'o' in Russian is not given its full value. We do something similar with certain vowels in English.

A Few Hints on Remembering Russian Letters

Speaking now in terms of recognition (not pronunciation), we can divide Russian letters into four groups. These are arbitrary, just a way of helping you memorize the Russian alphabet.

Those letters that look like our Latin letters and are in fact the same. This group, regrettably quite small, includes: А / Е / З / К / М / О / Т . We have included Е here, but remember the 'y' sound that precedes it, most particularly at the beginning of words and when it follows a vowel (as in Dostoyevsky).
Those letters that look like our Latin letters, but are not the same at all. This group includes: В / Н / Р / С / У / Х . As a test try to remember at this early stage what the English equivalents are: V / N / R / S / U ['oo' not 'yu'] / KH .
Those letters that look like Greek letters and were in fact borrowed from the Greek—see note at the end of this Guide on the origins of the Russian alphabet. This group includes: Б / Г / Д / И / Л / П / Ф . Again, as a test, try to remember the English equivalents of these letters (some should be very easy for 'Greeks'): B / G / D / I / L / P / F or PH .
And finally, those letters that look like nothing you have ever seen. This group includes: Ж / Ц / Ч / Ш / Щ / Ы / Э / Ю / Я . In fact, most of these were invented or changed over the years into their present form; some are also of Greek origin. In a few cases, they were based on letters in the Semitic languages (Arabic and Hebrew). For example, the letter Ш (SH) looks very much as though it was borrowed from the Arabic letter designating the same sound. The letter Ж is perhaps the strangest of the Russian letters; for generations beginning students have called it 'the spider'.

QuoteThat letter in English is a z or a h depending on how its used

A Brief Test

Now to test your newly acquired skills in recognizing Russian letters not just isolation but in groups of words, in both capitals and lower case. See how many of the following words you can make out.

РЕСТОРАН

Борис Ельцин

ВОДКА

QuoteMy russian is a little rusty i use to be able to identify it quite easily

Here are the answers in correct capitalization.

RESTAURANT Boris Yeltsin Vodka
No i didn't cheat I actually translated it
Now confess, that was not as difficult as you thought it might be. Of course, we cheated a little by using a lot of proper names and words that are similar to words in English (because they borrowed from us, we borrowed from them, or we both borrowed from a common source). But soon you should have little difficulty in reading the first word in the list above as a place to eat ['restoran'] and not some meaningless word or name ['pectopah']!

If you want to check your first effort at reading Russian words, here is the list in English: RESTORAN; Boris Yeltsin; VODKA; SPUTNIK; Arizona Vaildkats [Russians do not have a 'w' and usually substitute a 'v']; Rossiya; Amerika; EKZAMEN; SAITY [you guessed it—this means 'sites', as in Web]; KOMPYUTER; FILOSOFIYA; Dostoyevskiy; Gollivud [=Hollywood; Russians do not have an 'h' and traditionally have substituted a 'g', but you see more often now a 'kh', that is their letter Х because Russians today know it sounds closer to the English original]; TENNIS; TUALET [like us, the Russians borrowed the French word 'toilette']; BALET [another French word but the Russians dropped one 'L']; Janet Reno [Russians use 'ДЖ' for our letter 'J'; most would probably spell Reno as Рино because they know how the name is pronounced.

You might it useful to test yourself in the other direction; that is, to try to put English words and names in Russian. You can easily check your efforts by referring to the columns of letters above.

A Few Words on Stress

No, we don't expect you to get depressed. We are talking about the fact that every Russian word longer than one syllable has to have the correct stress placed when you say it (even silently to yourself). We have exactly the same rule in English. For example, when saying the word 'philosophy' we stress or place more emphasis on the first 'o'. Try pronouncing it stressing the second 'o' and you will quickly hear how strange it sounds, making it hard for people to understand us. It so happens that the Russian word 'filosofiya' is stressed on the second syllable. What is more, as a general rule, the Russian stress is more dynamic and more heavily emphasized than in English. So if you get the stress wrong, you can really cause even the best-intentioned Russian serious problems; he or she will have a hard time understanding you.

What all this means is that, as you progress in learning to recognize words in Russian, it is a great idea to note the correct stress and practice saying the word properly. It will help you remember it. You might try putting a dot or a French acute accent over the stressed syllable. Once you graduate to using a Russian dictionary, you will probably find the correct stress indicated.

Origins of the Russian Alphabet

The Russian alphabet is known as the Cyrillic alphabet in honor of Cyril (a saint in the Russian Orthodox Church), who is credited with creating it. In fact, Cyril (Kirill in Russian) did create an alphabet in the 9th century when he and his brother Methodius (also canonized) were asked by the Byzantine Emperor to help proselytize the people of Moravia (roughly an area covering parts of the Czech Republic and Slovakia today), who spoke a Slavic language. On the Slavic peoples and languages, see Part I of the Guide to Russian History in the ATHENEUM.

The two brothers were well equipped for this assignment because they came from Salonika (Thessaloniki) in northern Greece, which still contained many people of Slav origin. In fact, some suggest that the brothers had a Slavic mother, and that is why they themselves spoke a Slavic language so well. In any case, the brothers completed their task; the Moravian kingdom became Eastern Orthodox; and the liturgical texts could be translated into the local language with the new alphabet.

However, a series of wars led by rival Catholic states ended Moravia's independence and the local church, as the schism between Eastern and Western Christianity widened. The Orthodox Church and its Slavic liturgical language revived in the next century chiefly in Bulgaria. And it was at this point that the original Slavic alphabet (known as Glagolitic) was modified, chiefly with the inclusion of many more letters borrowed from the Greek. But St. Cyril was still honored as the original creator and so his name is still associated with the modified and more Greek alphabet that came to be used by a number of Slavic peoples, including the Russians.

Tastidian

I guess so maybe just half but still a lot of posts. About this one large post it might be just the same huh?

Xemadus Echina

talk about some insane multiposting...

Kitty Zebras
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Bromtaghon

It has NOTHING to do with zebras, rainen.

Korean Zaboomafoo
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Bromtaghon

Quote from: Duskling on June 12, 2010, 07:07:50 PM
What's a Zaboomafoo?

King Zack

It's that lemur that's a TV show for little kids, I probably misspelled it.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Duskling

Kraken's Zoom (He may like the Kraken and speed)