News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

A new engine!

Started by CraigStern, June 05, 2016, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

I gave the engine a test drive at a QA event over the weekend, which helpfully reminded me of a few bugs I needed to fix. I've since fixed a couple of them.

--fixed an issue where step numbers remained on the tile below an object after mousing off of the object.

--the game will no longer react if you click on (or mouse over) units, movement tiles, or attack tiles while the character screen or level-up screen are open.

--clicking on attack tiles without any valid target will no longer start an attack (instead, you'll get a "No Target!" message.)

--fixed an issue where the game would throw an error when checking for attack preemption with AOE attacks hitting empty spaces.

CraigStern

--fixed a few issues in the "self-move" routine.

--AI-controlled units now successfully launch attacks and end their turns, at which point the AI then generates a new next move.

CraigStern

--fixed an issue in which skills used by AI-controlled characters would not be properly marked as used, leading the AI to treat them as reusable.

--fixed an issue in which attacks launched against characters standing atop bridge tiles or other objects would sometimes hit the object instead of the character.

--the game now displays the portrait and skills of the current selected character in the actions menu during an AI-controlled turn.

CraigStern

--got finalized custom sprites for Emma and Sabrina! :)

CraigStern

--the game engine now only permits a given unit to perform the Use inventory action once per turn. (This does't apply to Equip, Unequip, Give, or Drop, nor will using an item end the unit's turn; this merely prevents the player from engaging in things like Adrenaline Pill spam.) Once a unit has performed the Use Item command, all consumable items in their inventory will appear with a red tint until the unit's next turn, indicating that they cannot use them.

--fixed a bug in which using items could send the user's health or energy above maximum.

CraigStern

Artist feedback, artist feedback, aaaand more artist feedback.

CraigStern

--improved the AI algorithm for scoring healing abilities.

--the AI system now accounts for skill-imparted status effects in scoring various possible moves.

--the AI now evaluates and scores the items in a unit's inventory based on how helpful they would be for the unit to use.

CraigStern

--during an AI-controlled army's turn, prior to moving or attacking with a unit, the AI now actually uses items belonging to that unit which it has deemed worth using. :)

CraigStern

--got the rough drafts of the first set of commissioned wall assets into the game to mess around with; adjusted the game's lighting, shaders, and "space height" parameters so that the 3D and 2D assets look like they belong together in the scene.

CraigStern

--obtained new ability/motivate animations for 7 classes, plus promoted variants!

CraigStern

--the AI now makes a rudimentary check to determine, roughly, how much potential damage it's exposing itself to by moving to a space, then factors that in when deciding how much it wants to make a given move.

--improved the formula the AI uses when taking attack accuracy into account when deciding on a move.

CraigStern

--the AI now accounts for the potential environmental damage resulting from a knockback move, comparing it to the environmental damage the target is already due to take next turn on its current space.

--the AI now accounts for whether an attack will draw a counterattack, and factors in the amount of damage the unit will receive in the process.

--improved the algorithm so that it disregards a target's inherent value for purposes of scoring a move if the skill it's checking won't actually do anything useful to the target (i.e. won't damage it, cause environmental damage, or at least impart a status effect).

CraigStern

Got the rough drafts of commissioned castle wall assets; gave feedback on those, as well as shadowling portrait assets and initial drafts of a new musical track.

--when calculating base target values, the AI engine now looks ahead to determine if enemies are going to die on their own on the next turn via environmental effects, status effects, or a combination of the two. If so, the AI will drop that target's base value to 0 so that it doesn't waste actions on attacking that character.

CraigStern

--fixed an issue in which AOE attacks launched by the AI did not rotate their reticles appropriately.

--fixed an issue that was interfering with calculating the value of knockback destinations for the AI.

CraigStern

Spent the last couple of days of last week tackling my IndieRPGs.com backlog--work's pretty nuts this week, so there may not be much to report until next week. Still, an AI test I performed on Saturday went well! I should be able to start tackling the long-distance planning part of the AI soon.