News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

I might think different of Piroutte if it only rotated 90 degrees.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Arch Suck-up of Craig on September 12, 2010, 01:34:15 PM
I might think different of Piroutte if it only rotated 90 degrees.
I thought about that before suggesting, but I concluded that 180° was better.  Turning 180° can be used effectively much more often then the 90° turn.  At first I thought that you could use 90° turns multiple time like shadowport, but that would be overpowered in my opinion.  Plus, if we had to turn him 90, then we would have to have one attack for turning clockwise and a second attack for turning counter-clockwise.

Zackirus

I give a yay for Piroutte. It is better than giving her an offensive move.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

I'll change mine to a maybe. I don't know.

Ertxiem

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 12, 2010, 01:27:58 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on September 01, 2010, 07:49:35 PM
Pirouette- Luca uses her mysterious powers to rotate her friends or foes 180°.  This would help teammates face thier foes.  It would also make enemies vurnable to backstab.
Element: Spirit
Range: 2 Spaces
Cost: 5 Psy Points
Damage: No Damage
Quote from: Ertxiem on September 11, 2010, 08:24:41 PM
I'll give a small yay for pirouette. It's not an attack that I think it makes much sense, but I can see some use on the battlefield (for instance, the examples given by im2smart4u).
It doesn't make much sense because the enemies would try to cancel its effect. That would be easier for them to do that cancelling the effects of juxtapose because the former only rotates the enemy without moving him (thus, rotating back wouldn't need any steps) while the latter moves the enemy (requiring 1 or 2 steps to move back) and it's previous position will become occupied.
I don't understand what you mean by "cancel its effect".  Are you saying that the enemies will turn back around during their turn?  This attack would require you to use the teammates in the correct order.  To use Luca's Piroutte last is like healing a full healthed Griffin before he attacks a Ravinale Swordsman's front.  You have to use Piroutte before the other teammates, so the other teammates can attack the enemy before he turns around.
If I think how the game works (turn based in a tiled space), then pirouette would work as you intended it to work. No problems with that.
My objection is based on a more realistic approach. If I imagine that pirouette existed in the real world, how effective would it be? I think it would be easy just to rotate in the opposite direction. That is my objection.

I didn't like too much about the hooked attacks, although I acknowledge that they're original. Perhaps they could be used by enemies with different affinities...
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

bugfartboy

Quote from: Duckling on September 12, 2010, 09:53:34 AM
They should have different shapes. Like Cold should be like branching out in different directions, and Shadow should be be a couple of knights' moves, and Light should be one 3x3 hook, and Heat should spiral out four times like:

OOOOO
XXXOO
XODOO
XOOOO
XXXXX
This is less of a hook and more of a spiral but maybe it could be called Fire Serpant as an attack for a higher level enemy. It coils out from the user, striking any in its way.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Ertxiem on September 12, 2010, 02:26:42 PM
If I think how the game works (turn based in a tiled space), then pirouette would work as you intended it to work. No problems with that.
My objection is based on a more realistic approach. If I imagine that pirouette existed in the real world, how effective would it be? I think it would be easy just to rotate in the opposite direction. That is my objection.
If you were suddenly teleported, you wouldn't immediately know that you are facing the opposite direction.  During this confusion, a teammate will quickly attack the enemy in the back. Is that real world enough for you?

cyso

If you are going by that logic, why can't Griffin turn around after using a backhander? If Griffin or any other teammates can't turn around after they have already gone, then your enemies shouldn't be able to either.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Ertxiem

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 12, 2010, 03:08:31 PM
If you were suddenly teleported, you wouldn't immediately know that you are facing the opposite direction.  During this confusion, a teammate will quickly attack the enemy in the back. Is that real world enough for you?
The description you gave consisted on Luca rotating her target (and that was the point I was addressing).
Now you're describing that Luca teleports her target to the same place with a rotation of 180º during the teleportation process. It's different and, perhaps, a bit better. However, I would like to point out that if the argument is that a person is confused after teleporting, then he should be more vulnerable from all the directions in that moment. So, the explanation of the attack should be that the target is aware that he moved but he just faces primarily the people on his front so we may have a few seconds to strike him on the back before he has time to react.

Quote from: yogc on September 12, 2010, 05:26:07 PM
If you are going by that logic, why can't Griffin turn around after using a backhander? If Griffin or any other teammates can't turn around after they have already gone, then your enemies shouldn't be able to either.
That is quite different. Griffin chooses to do an attack that deals extra damage in which the technique is based on him turning his back on his enemy for a significant part of the time, therefore exposing himself more to backstab damage (if the enemy has time to react).
In the (initial) description of pirouette, I got the idea that the rotation occurred continuously (even if in a relatively short amount of time). In this case, it's easier for someone to rotate himself back during that process, thereby cancelling the effect.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

cyso

How about the attack whirls them around almost instantly, slightly disorienting them to the point that they can notice things in front of them and react on instinct, but they don't notice someone behind them until it is too late.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 01, 2010, 07:49:35 PMPirouette- Luca uses her mysterious powers to rotate her friends or foes 180°.  This would help teammates face thier foes.  It would also make enemies vurnable to backstab.

Yay:
*yogc
*Ertxiem
*im2smart4u
*Zackirus
*The Holy namelesskitty

Nays:
N/A

Sorry, but you waited too long and vote is closed.

The Holy namelesskitty

Yay because it sounds so useful.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 01, 2010, 07:49:35 PMPirouette- Luca uses her mysterious powers to rotate her friends or foes 180°.  This would help teammates face thier foes.  It would also make enemies vurnable to backstab.
Last chance to object to formulation of Pirouette.

bugfartboy