News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 02, 2010, 11:05:40 PM
Quote from: MikeW781 on September 02, 2010, 06:13:15 PM
But, considering how I level a lot in between missions, a larger EAA is the only thing the spriggat will have over Mails for me.
That is a big difference.  Spriggat attacks hit more spaces and causes more damage than a Psy Assassin's attacks.  This causes them to be used completely diffrently.
So far, only two more spaces for Fire Breath 2, and 3 more for fire gust, which hasn't been added yet. Also, as I said, I often level to the point where new characters are really far behind.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Ertxiem

Quote from: KZ on September 03, 2010, 04:59:28 PM[...]
Not sure if I even like the idea, but we could have the Psy equivalent of Fury, whereby the Spriggat gets enrgaed, and since his attacks are partly body-based, with a bit of the Gift to guide the shots, this will allow the Spriggat to make a more damaging blow by increasing Psy Power by 1. Useful, methinks.
Or have a special, expensive, Fire Breath 3 with range 1-4.
[...]

These attacks make sense, even if they're not much different from the existing ones.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Zackirus

I thought of an attack for Rahel as we haven't come up with any attacks for her yet.

Arrow Storm
Rahel has learned how to fire mutliple arrows at once and get them to split aswell.

Range:
OOXOXOO
OXOXOXO
OOXOXOO
OOOOOOO
OOOROOO
R=Rahel (Facing Up) O= Unaffected Space X= Affected Space

Cost: 15
Damage: Strength + Arrow Storm Level + (Psy Power/2)
Prerequisites: Power: 15, Psy Power: 10
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Cypher

Air Blast
As it turns out, [Spriggat's name] learned that after long, laborious days training his wing muscles, and learning to control the Gift, he found out could flap his wings much stronger than before, making a very powerful gust of wind. Combined with his telekinetic powers, he could push enemies a distance away and make them trip on their feet, leaving them vunerable for attack. So that [Spriggat's name] doesn't fly back when he beats his wings in such a fashion, he learned to make a air cushion behind him using the Gift. Such a powerful attack is very energy-consuming, however.
Range: 1 space in front
Cost: 6
Damage: Strength + air blast level - 12
Effect: Pushes enemy back 1 space
Prerequisites: Strength: 15, Psy Power: 10

Thoughts, guys?

bugfartboy

Quote from: Zackirus on September 03, 2010, 11:50:35 PM
I thought of an attack for Rahel as we haven't come up with any attacks for her yet.

Arrow Storm
Rahel has learned how to fire mutliple arrows at once and get them to split aswell.

Range:
OOXOXOO
OXOXOXO
OOXOXOO
OOOOOOO
OOOROOO

I like it. And I like the cost too. What attacks would she need to level to get it though?
Quote from: Cypher on September 04, 2010, 06:27:48 AM
Air Blast
As it turns out, our Spriggat teammate (what's his name again?) learned that after long, laborious days training his wing muscles, he could flap his wings much stronger than before, making a very powerful gust of wind. Combined with his telekinetic powers, he was strong enough to knock people off their feet.
Cost: 5
Effect: Stuns enemy for 1 turn
Recharge time: 2 turns

Thoughts, guys?
I don't really like it. How would a blast of air stun an enemy?

Cypher

Quote from: bugfartboy on September 04, 2010, 08:48:44 AM
Quote from: Zackirus on September 03, 2010, 11:50:35 PM

Arrow Storm

Range:
OOXOXOO
OXOXOXO
OOXOXOO
OOOOOOO
OOOROOO

I like it. And I like the cost too. What attacks would she need to level to get it though?
Air Blast
As it turns out, our Spriggat teammate (what's his name again?) learned that after long, laborious days training his wing muscles, he could flap his wings much stronger than before, making a very powerful gust of wind. Combined with his telekinetic powers, he was strong enough to knock people off their feet.
Cost: 5
Effect: Stuns enemy for 1 turn
Recharge time: 2 turns

Thoughts, guys?
I don't really like it. How would a blast of air stun an enemy?
The enemy would fall down, and be dizzy. The time it would take him to get back up would cost him one turn.

MikeW781

I am for both ideas, except
A) the cost for Arrow Storm is a bit high, even for such a potent attack. Maybe 12 would be more feasable?
B) Does a recharge time for Air Blast work with the current system? Its a good attack, but probably not so much worth editing the battle system.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Cypher

Quote from: MikeW781 on September 04, 2010, 10:10:46 AM
A) the cost for Arrow Storm is a bit high, even for such a potent attack. Maybe 12 would be more feasable?
B) Does a recharge time for Air Blast work with the current system? Its a good attack, but probably not so much worth editing the battle system.
I asked Craig to find out.

SmartyPants

Arrow Storm?  Can you imagen Rahel simultaneously notching 7 arrows with her one short bow?  It wouldn't be possible even with psy powers.
Air Blast?  Wouldn't sending a gust of wind forward with wings send the Spriggat flying backwards (and possble stunning himself)?  the stunning effect isn't possible because Craig won't create attacks that mess with enemy AI.

Cypher

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 04, 2010, 11:18:54 AM
Arrow Storm?  Can you imagen Rahel simultaneously notching 7 arrows with her one short bow?  It wouldn't be possible even with psy powers.
Air Blast?  Wouldn't sending a gust of wind forward with wings send the Spriggat flying backwards (and possble stunning himself)?  the stunning effect isn't possible because Craig won't create attacks that mess with enemy AI.
I asked him if it would mess with enemy AI. I'm awaiting a response. And no, it wouldn't send him flying backwards. He was trained for that not to happen. And also, there are also lots of other 'unimaginable' attacks that are in TSoG. I'm assuming you don't, but do you like the ideas?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Cypher on September 04, 2010, 11:24:40 AMAnd no, it wouldn't send him flying backwards. He was trained for that not to happen.
He was trained to cancel Newton's Third Law?

Cypher

He flaps his wings in a way that doesn't have much effect on him. There are, like I said before, lots of other impossible attacks in TSoG. And keep in mind that the story is set in Cera Bella: Some of the laws of physics may not apply. I won't discuss this further.

EDIT: I'd like to know clearly who likes or doesn't like Arrow Storm and Air Blast.

KZ

Although the area covered by Rahel's attack is interesting, I am not sure if she needs any more attacks - I think she's probably the most complete teammate we have so far (now that she can shoot an occaisonal range 4 attack as well).

Now, about Air Storm- actually, Cypher, no laws of physics are being broken in the Cera Bella universe, in fact, we gho out of the way to ensure that there is some kind of plausible explanation, albeit invoking the gift as the deux ex machina to explain everything away. The Spriggat will fly backwards if he tries to blow someone out of the way. However, one could say that he/she can also be trained in using the Gift to create an air cushion behind them such that they're not blown out of the way, whilst an enemy is (a bit like a turbine in a tunnel- it remains fixed in space, but blows air through).
Effectively, this is simply a different application of the idea about giving Set a semi-offensive attack.

Actually, with one modification  I'm sold ont his idea: instead of stunning the enemy, you move the enemy backwards one step- effectively knocking them over. This avoids messing with the enemy AI and may possibly be easier to implement. you can move, for instance, an enemy out of the way if he/she is blocking the passage and cannot be killed in one go. It could be used to force an enemy into a backstab-approachable position, or prevent the enemies from moving by playing an enemy who goes last in their way. Highly versatile, highly useful, and that something little extra which, although not giving a Spriggat extra strength, might be this extra factor in the Spriggat's favour- like before they had no answer to the Shadow-port, well- this is an assymetric, but potentially highly useful reply. I'm very much for this idea.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Cypher

I'm glad you like it ;D. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I made a few changes to the attack description.
Here's the new version:
Air Blast
As it turns out, [Spriggat's name] learned that after long, laborious days training his wing muscles, and learning to control the Gift, he found out could flap his wings much stronger than before, making a very powerful gust of wind. Combined with his telekinetic powers, he could push enemies a distance away and make them trip on their feet, leaving them vunerable for attack. So that [Spriggat's name] doesn't fly back when he beats his wings in such a fashion, he learned to make a air cushion behind him using the Gift. Such a powerful attack is very energy-consuming, however.
Cost: 6
Effect: Pushes enemy back 1 space

Thoughts, guys?

Zackirus

Quote from: MikeW781 on September 04, 2010, 10:10:46 AM

True-Shaft hits only one space and it costs 10. Although it doesn't do much damage as Trueshaft. It would take up a lot of PsP to use.

Bugfartboy: I was thinking you would need Spit Shot 2 Level 2
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada