News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Excellent question. Probably, I would imagine, I'll be spending some time after release continuing to fix bugs in TSoG that hadn't popped up before. I'll certainly be spending some time doing marketing for the game. I'm working on a book on how to create games in Flash using AS3; I'll probably finish that up. And then, when I'm good and ready, I'll announce Sinister Design's next game. ;)

bugfartboy

What would the book include in general?

CraigStern

Quote from: Fyer on January 03, 2011, 10:26:30 PM
What would the book include in general?

So far, it's 125 pages long, give or take a few. It's for beginners, so it covers all the basic topics you need to know, explaining them thoroughly with examples. Then the book shows you how to make different types of games using what you've learned. So far I've finished the first part of the book and gotten into the second, with step-by-step tutorials for creating a dice game, a card game, and a tile-based game engine. I'm in the middle of the tutorial on creating an RPG, after which I plan to write a tutorial on how to make a platformer, and then possibly a puzzle game for good measure.

bugfartboy

That sounds pretty cool. If I knew when it was out and where I could get it, I might have to look into buying it. :) My parents don't mind if I spend money on books. How big of a gamer audience do you hope to get from TSoG and how big of an audience are you likely to get?

CraigStern

Quote from: Fyer on January 03, 2011, 10:38:16 PM
That sounds pretty cool. If I knew when it was out and where I could get it, I might have to look into buying it. :) My parents don't mind if I spend money on books. How big of a gamer audience do you hope to get from TSoG and how big of an audience are you likely to get?

Seriously? I haven't a clue. *shrug* I'm doing my best, but I figure whatever happens, that's what happens. I'm not losing sleep over it. The most important thing to me is to make really cool stuff that I'm proud of having my name associated with.

bugfartboy

All right. So do you think you'll be making any large scale games that aren't based on the idea of TRPG? Or do you really know at the moment?

CraigStern

Quote from: Fyer on January 03, 2011, 10:44:52 PM
All right. So do you think you'll be making any large scale games that aren't based on the idea of TRPG? Or do you really know at the moment?

I'm right now deciding between a smallish multiplayer game and a large-ish single player game. One is based on TRPG, one isn't. The rest, I shall leave a mystery for now. :)

bugfartboy

So you're not gonna tell us which is based on TRPG? That's somewhat cruel. But I guess you've got to keep people interested. Keep the suspense. So about how many hours a day do you spend working on anything in general? Or is that a question that digs too much?

Idozen Cair

I know this sounds lame but, is it possible to recruit Qudssi in the browser demo? If yes, when(in which part of the game)?
I doesn't care, do I?

Idozen Cair

Will you ever make the full story available for the demo? I really want to know the full story and I don't really care about missing the bonus features (Qudssi, La'man, Naj etc.)
I doesn't care, do I?

CraigStern

Qudssi can be recruited only if you purchase the game.

The main plot that appears in the demo right now is all of the main plot that is going to be featured in the demo. The full game will be required in order to play through the entire storyline.

ArtDrake

Concerning the post about hashing, yes, I agree with the "victimless" aspect of it. The nosy reporter in me begs to ask:

Are you writing a book on making games in AS3 for beginners because you think you can do better than anyone has so far?

If so, I would say that that is an admirable task, in that I had to start with AS2 and Java, and combine my experiences with the two of them to understand what the heck the AS3 books were saying.

Oh, and I resolved my bug. It turns out that I needed to add the event listener to the stage, not the document class. I had tried it before, but my trace method that would have told me stuff was happening was commented out.

CraigStern

Quote from: Duckling on January 04, 2011, 08:56:29 PMAre you writing a book on making games in AS3 for beginners because you think you can do better than anyone has so far?

Basically, yes. I got started using a book which (on the plus side) was very accessible to beginners but (on the minus side) taught extremely poor programming practices and didn't provide a good foundation for learning to program one's own games.

I'm glad you resolved your bug!

bugfartboy

So, on the book, where do you think it would be available if it got published? Online? (And I mean the book available to buy and have shipped. Not just text on a computer screen.)

TheWanderingShadow

This is rather off topic, but if you absolutely had to pick a name and gender for the TRPG2 hero, what would it be?
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O