News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Are you ready for the influx of bug reports and complaints?

CraigStern

bugfartboy

Does enemy AI play fair in fog-of-war maps?

CraigStern

Ertxiem

Have you considered the possibility of simultaneous turns?
I mean: both players submit their moves and they're processed at the same time.

I understand that this would probably mean a totally new game engine.
On top of that, there are difficulties like: which unit should occupy a space if two want to go there; and when attacking, are you attacking the enemy unit or the space it was occupying the previous turn.

By the way, Craig, you forgot your evil laughter on your previous post! :)
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

mirromaru

Sorry, I'm pretty sure this must have been asked before but I couldn't find it via search, so here it goes:

Will we be able to include our own sprites and tilesets?

CraigStern

Quote from: Ertxiem on May 01, 2013, 08:16:04 AMHave you considered the possibility of simultaneous turns?
I mean: both players submit their moves and they're processed at the same time.

I've thought about it; it wouldn't work in a fantasy setting built primarily on melee attacks. It would end up like a missile defense game, in that you'd have to try to predict where enemy melee units are going to move, then intercept them with your own. Characters would spend turns just moving at and missing each other. It would be dull and frustrating, especially on a grid.

Quote from: mirromaru on May 01, 2013, 01:46:18 PMWill we be able to include our own sprites and tilesets?

Yes! Instructions for creating your own tileset are currently on page 31 of the manual; I haven't created instructions for custom character and object sprites yet, but those are supported as well.

bugfartboy

Is there any way to have a player set variable, such as a name?

~Edit~
How does one set the starting "map" file for a User Campaign? Or is that currently hard coded into the game?

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on May 01, 2013, 08:12:08 PM
Is there any way to have a player set variable, such as a name?

Custom string variables (e.g. names) are not yet supported. You can set numerical variables using the SetVal action.

Quote from: bugfartboy on May 01, 2013, 08:12:08 PM
How does one set the starting "map" file for a User Campaign? Or is that currently hard coded into the game?

Just edit Introduction.xml to change the start of the campaign. (Every campaign starts by playing its own Introduction.xml automatically.)

bugfartboy

Are you required to set nextbattle to another map? I know you can set it to "none".

I ask because I've been manually playing around with things in a new campaign, and the introduction isn't wanting to load. In other words, it gives me a solid black screen, and nothing else.

CraigStern

It's hard to say what the problem is without knowing your setup there. Did you just copy-paste the Kovit Introduction.xml into the Maps subdirectory of a new campaign folder? Did you make any changes?

bugfartboy

Other than "campaign" and the content between the Narration tags, no.

<Level mapname="Introduction" maptype="Cut Scene" maxplayers="1" musictrack="TitleTheme" nextbattle="none" campaign="New Campaign">
   <Narration>Once upon a time there was a magical spirit. This spirit liked making water turn to ice, just to melt it again!</Narration>
</Level>

CraigStern

I just tried that XML code out and it worked fine.

Are you sure you've got all the other XML files you need in your campaign's main directory? Maps won't load if the game fails to find Attacks.xml, CharClasses.xml, CharNames.xml, ItemClasses.xml, ObjClasses.xml, or PersistentDialog.xml sitting in the campaign folder. All of them have to be present.

bugfartboy

That would probably be it. I have none of those in my campaign folder.

CraigStern

That would be the problem, then. :)