News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics - opinions

Started by Ertxiem, May 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

When you code attacking barriers, are you going to add in a priority list? An algorithm to determine the more useful barrier to attack, i.e. "attack power and element to health and resistace" and which barrier is closer (provided multiple reasonable barriers are nearby)?

Will you be coding for enemies to strategically place barriers?

In addition:
Quote from: Kickstarter Page
Pyrokineticist - The Pyrokineticist is a psychic warrior specializing in heat attacks. Pyrokineticists are extremely valuable for their ability to destroy wooden objects, ignite explosives, and set enemy units on fire. A Pyrokineticist that builds up enough energy can launch a devastating AOE "Fire Gate" attack, so targeting these characters is a priority. Pyrokineticists rely on a psychokinetic shield for defense, and do not wear heavy armor.
I'm glad to see progress in pyrotechnics have been made. No more Pyro Hail as the only AOE attack for Pyrotechnics?

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on December 05, 2012, 08:06:30 PMWhen you code attacking barriers, are you going to add in a priority list? An algorithm to determine the more useful barrier to attack, i.e. "attack power and element to health and resistace" and which barrier is closer (provided multiple reasonable barriers are nearby)?

There is already a very good algorithm for determining which targets yield the greatest bang-for-buck with which attacks that the AI uses; the bigger issue will be recognizing when barriers are impeding the AI from attacking the enemy, then selecting the barrier that will provide it with the best route for reaching those targets.

Quote from: bugfartboy on December 05, 2012, 08:06:30 PMWill you be coding for enemies to strategically place barriers?

It's possible, but not a high priority at the moment.

Quote from: bugfartboy on December 05, 2012, 08:06:30 PMNo more Pyro Hail as the only AOE attack for Pyrotechnics?

It was a bit unbalanced that way, and I can't really have that in a multiplayer game, now can I? ;)

bugfartboy

Out of curiosity, is is possible to code an attack without a base element? A Non-Elemental attack of sorts?

CraigStern

SmartyPants

When the kickerstarter says "a second gender for each character class", does that include non-human characters such as shadowlings, spirits, and lizardmen?

CraigStern

That includes spirits, spriggats and lizardmen.

SmartyPants

Wouldn't female lizardmen be lizardwomen?  ;)

Quote from: Craig Stern on KickstarterI'd also like to add a "Trade" function; consider that on The List.
Is Steal on The List too?

I am a little curious about how AI will work with some modd units.  Lets say someone modds a Photokineticist to have a shield attack.  Would that unit's AI know to use its shield like Ravinale Healers or would the AI, which is programmed to act like a photokineticist, not ever use its shield?

CraigStern

The AI knows how to use shields based on the properties of Shield attacks, not based on which class uses them. If you give a photokineticist a shield, it will know how to use it. Not only that, the AI is smart enough to target characters with healing abilities as if they were healers, even if it's a brand-new class.

Ertxiem

That's rather clever. So I assume that if we create an attack the AI will look at the characteristics of the attack, like damage dealt (or healed) and area affected.
Does the AI also cares about the movement of the unit when prioritizing the attacks? A slow moving strong enemy with short range attacks may end up being easy to avoid if the field is clear, while a faster moving weaker enemy or one with a long range attack can be deadly.
(I. e., can we create a self-healing rock as a decoy to the AI? :P )
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Quote from: Ertxiem on December 10, 2012, 03:59:06 AMDoes the AI also cares about the movement of the unit when prioritizing the attacks?

Nope.

SmartyPants

The "I" in the "AI" sounds alot more impressive then I originally thought.

Will it be possible to modd in one's own in-game-portaits?

CraigStern

Yes, there will be support for custom character portraits. ;)

SmartyPants

Quote from: CraigStern on October 08, 2010, 05:06:05 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on September 18, 2010, 12:12:39 PMLuca
Pirouette-
Luca uses her mysterious powers to rotate her friends or foes 180°.  This would help teammates face thier foes and enemies turn their backs on your friends.
Element: Spirit
Range: 2 Spaces
Cost: 5 Psy Points
Damage: No Damage
Ooh! Nice one. I like it. ;D

Will a turning affect be possible?

CraigStern

That's not currently supported, but I could add it. ;)

SmartyPants

Is it possible to have a Capture Boss condition like we saw with Hellion in TSoG?  You clearly know the benefit this condition has for storytelling.