News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The Rules

Started by KZ, February 07, 2010, 05:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyso

Yes, that presents a problem, which is probably why Craig doesn't use my method. I don't know what the best method would be, but spambots can get around the question...
Sorry about bob, he's already deleted. I hope I didn't waste your time by making you check the account registration system.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

bugfartboy

What if a 3 strike your out method was used? And it's fine. You only made me log out.

Idozen Cair

Quote from: MikeW781 on April 07, 2010, 06:18:48 PM
how about:
"If you've been banned and make a new account, you shouldn't announce that you used to be Presentiment. Oops! I mean, you shouldn't announce that you were once banned."
I've heard in almost every topic something about Presentiment. Who is he? People here say he used to be a nuisence in the forum. May someone explain please?
I doesn't care, do I?

MikeW781

He was the only really persistant troll these forums ever had to deal with. People make a huge deal about him, because he was trolling since before the new forums were up, and Im not sure how long he was with the old forums. After he got banned, he came back a few times, and then was either sucessfully banned, or just got bored, and left.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

CraigStern

I've added a new rule prohibiting advertising on the forums. Specifically, that means: do not post about things that are intended to earn you money.

So, for example, if you wrote a song or a story, or you created a free Flash game, and you just want to tell people about it, that's totally fine. But if you're selling it (or earning advertising revenue from it), then it's advertising, and it violates forum rules to post about it in a way designed to attract customers/viewers/players.

Idozen Cair

So, Demon Duck's Maelstrom is fine but Game Crazy Kid's Essay Help is not, right?
I doesn't care, do I?

Duskling

Quote from: Idozen Cair on May 28, 2011, 10:28:19 AM
So, Demon Duck's Maelstrom is fine but Game Crazy Kid's Essay Help is not, right?
Right, that's because Duck's game is non-profit, while Game Crazy Kid's offered five dollars per essay.

Edit: And it's not "Essay Help," it's "Writing Your Essays for You."

ArtDrake

So... does your rule include free games that may be on Kongregate, where each additional hit may inadvertently earn you $.0035 USD, but for the most part, you just want to share the game with your friends?

Sorry about the hypothetical, but I'd rather this came up sooner than later.

Duskling

Quote from: CraigStern on May 27, 2011, 06:18:32 PM
So, for example, if you wrote a song or a story, or you created a free Flash game, and you just want to tell people about it, that's totally fine. But if you're selling it (or earning advertising revenue from it), then it's advertising, and it violates forum rules to post about it in a way designed to attract customers/viewers/players.
That may be what you mean, Duck.

Quote from: Demon Duck on June 07, 2011, 09:47:35 PM
So... does your rule include free games that may be on Kongregate, where each additional hit may inadvertently earn you $.0035 USD, but for the most part, you just want to share the game with your friends?
Edit: I just realized it's not, but, I think that because it has the slightest potential to earn you money it counts, but I'm not trying to seem high-and-mighty, and the final decision is up to Craig, because I can't read minds... no pun intended.

bugfartboy

So, could you advertise it in your sig, Craig?

CraigStern

Quote from: Demon Duck on June 07, 2011, 09:47:35 PM

Sorry about the hypothetical, but I'd rather this came up sooner than later.

Believe it or not, I thought about this. Let's re-read what I wrote and parse it:

Quoteif you're selling it (or earning advertising revenue from it), then it's advertising, and it violates forum rules to post about it in a way designed to attract customers/viewers/players.

So clearly, a game where you earn ad revenue is something subjecct to the No Advertising rule. However, it isn't a problem just so long as you post about it in a way that isn't "designed to attract customers/viewers/players."

For example: suppose you just post to brag about finishing the game, or to brag about how well it's doing on Kongregate. You don't post a link, and you don't ask people to go to Kongregate and play the game. Under those circumstances, you're fine.

bugfartboy

So lawyering skills DO come in handy! Alrighty. If I ever make a game, I'll follow that rule.