News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Developer's Log

Started by CraigStern, February 11, 2013, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

--put in a check so the game doesn't try to unequip an item at a position that no longer exists in the character's inventory array; captured a bunch of log info to determine the underlying cause of the mismatch (though I can now say with some certainty that it happens when an item is used up and equipped items exist after the used-up item in the character's inventory).

CraigStern

--fixed a bug where using up an item will cause subsequent items in the characters inventory to unequip, and become un-equippable.

CraigStern

released version 1.039

I stayed up until after 3 AM this morning overhauling the way the game displays when in fullscreen mode:

- when in fullscreen mode, the game now actively scales so that everything visible on the screen is as large as it would be if you were playing with 1280 x 720 screen resolution. Bitmaps now have smoothing applied to them so that they don't look terrible when scaled in this way.
- the fullscreen title screen graphics are now smoothed as well so that they are longer jagged and janky looking when stretched to fit monitor dimensions in fullscreen.

There are a few visual hiccups I have left to fix here and there, but for the most part, this should address criticisms about the game being too "zoomed out" for players with big, high-resolution monitors.

CraigStern

- fixed a visual glitch where the accuracy line on attack reticle squares would sometimes extend down an extra line in the new fullscreen mode.

- talking, interacting with doors, giving inventory items, and using objects with a Use trigger now require the interacting character to either be flying, or have an elevation difference no greater than 1 with the target.

CraigStern

- fixed tutorial message not displaying midway through the Meridian rescue mission.

CraigStern

- rewrote the code for saving the game after a cut scene to bring it more in line with the process used to save the game after a battle. (This is pretty much essential for switching over to XML-based save files.)

- rewrote the code for copying a saved game to another slot.

- implemented XML-based saving and loading in place of SOL files. Still a few snags to work out, but so far it's mostly working! :)

CraigStern

- fixed a bunch of small parsing and variable typing issues that were preventing the new XML save and load system from performing flawlessly. Things are looking pretty solid now, but I'm going to test it out some more over the next few days to make sure it's 100% free of issues before I push it in an update.

CraigStern

- fixed a bug in which one could not swap reserve characters onto the battlefield after moving the Characters in Reserve window around.

CraigStern

- fixed a bug in which weather effects would simply stop animating at the beginning of battles.

CraigStern

- the game now scales up the size of its graphics and text to fit the screen when in fullscreen mode, meaning that sprites, tiles, and text are all larger in direct relation to how big your display resolution is. (This functionality assumes you're using a 16:9 resolution.)

- replaced custom font size functionality with an option to toggle fullscreen scaling on or off (it's on by default).

CraigStern

CraigStern

- fixed a bug in which starting a game in a new, never-before-used slot would cause an error

CraigStern

- fixed a bug in which the game would sometimes mistakenly load "null" items into what should be an empty character inventory.

- fixed a bug in which the game would freeze upon closing the Reserve Supplies screen after making changes.

- temporarily removed the feature where the game would save changes made to your common inventory and individual character inventories made during the deployment phase before battles. (I'm going to put it back in, but I need to rewrite this feature and test it thoroughly first.)

CraigStern

- fixed a bug in which the game would incorrectly parse items with multiple types of requirements (e.g. both race and class requirements) when loading from a saved game, which made it so the game didn't read them properly.

- fixed a bug where dragging-and-dropping was somewhat inaccurate when swapping characters out of reserves and onto the battlefield.

CraigStern

- re-added the feature where the game saves changes to your common inventory and individual character inventories made during the deployment phase before battles. Apparently, coding the new system was super easy, and it seems to be working pretty flawlessly. (Luckily, due to the new XML save feature, we can actually see in real-time if it isn't, and pinpoint exactly what the problem is!)