News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Assasin in main campaign OP?

Started by Tyson, May 03, 2015, 10:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyson

So I put the helicopter on Tremolo and he ended up killing just about every single boss for me. Including the last boss where I flew halfway across the large map (had sprint shoes but red pills would work too) jumped over Tarion, and mega-backstabbed for 150 damage... He was probably about 5 levels higher than every other character because of exp gained from helicopter and backstab protection which I used every turn, plus killing an enemy just about every turn.

I'd say either his dodge score, the cloak you can buy for him, or the backstab multiplier was just too good as he was never in danger of dying for me throughout the campaign yet could take on a small army just by outmaneuvering them...

Ayra

I haven't been using him at all due to multiple reasons: his personality is iffy, I don't like his portrait and he massively underwhelmed me during the two escape chapters directly following his recruitment. He didn't move from the bench since then (though admittedly I'm not far from that point).

AK Dave

Shhhhh!

Someone might hear you and nerf him. :)

eyhung

It feels in general that turning energy into XP with repeatable actions is a little broken.  At the end of a scenario, characters might as well spend turns buffing and using spells to gain significant free XP. 

Tying XP just to damage and healing might fix this, since damage is more bounded -- once you inflict enough damage, the scenario ends.

LightningLord2

Quote from: eyhung on May 11, 2015, 04:46:29 PM
It feels in general that turning energy into XP with repeatable actions is a little broken.  At the end of a scenario, characters might as well spend turns buffing and using spells to gain significant free XP. 

Tying XP just to damage and healing might fix this, since damage is more bounded -- once you inflict enough damage, the scenario ends.

How about making the skills yield less XP the more often they are used?

Kletian999

He's already nerfed repeatable actions so each invidual action can only XP once per round.  A bit of a bummer for bridge building engineer.

eyhung

Nerfing the amount of XP gained would help somewhat, but optimal play shouldn't be boring and riskless.

Near the end of most untimed scenarios, the assassin can simply activate the levitator for 1 energy, turn on awareness for 1 energy, and sit to regain 5 energy.   Similarly, the bronze golem can self-heal for 3, increase speed for 1, and sit to regain energy.  Fighters can pull an ally into a wall(cost: 0, XP: 20), and Sabrina can drop an iron jaw trap for 5 and sit to regain the energy.

What's really odd is that the Mentalist levitate skill doesn't seem to give XP, but using the levitator item does.  Having the golem increase speed gives XP, but sprinting doesn't.  These seem inconsistent. 

CraigStern

Quote from: eyhung on May 14, 2015, 08:19:13 PMWhat's really odd is that the Mentalist levitate skill doesn't seem to give XP, but using the levitator item does

It's so strange; Levitate and Hover have almost the exact same properties. I can't imagine why one would give experience and not the other. I'll look into that soon.

Chocobo_Fan

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Mega Stab is just ridiculously powerful, and renders any battle with a key opponent trivial; I was going to play the final battle fairly, but once things went south I just said "screw it" and flew Tremolo over there. Tarion died in one hit. Even regular Stab is capable of oneshotting Leon Hart and Pathos with a sufficiently high level. Seems a bit much, especially with how adrenaline pills can let assassins run across the entire map in a few turns.

Kletian999

Tremelo wasn't dangerous for me until he got a weapon upgrade.  Maybe assassin daggers need to be weaker?

NoQuitt

Have any balance changes been made to this character since this post? It seems like a very fun and interesting class to play but I really don't want to use him if he makes things too easy.

bugfartboy

Quote--in the single player campaign, dropped the backstab multiplier for Knife from 2.25X to 2X, for Stab from 3X to 2.25X, and Mega Stab from 3X to 2.5X. Increased the sidestab multiplier for Mega Stab from 1.5X to 1.75X.
Source

NoQuitt

Thanks! I will start using him now

FaithOfHeaven

I must agree with the poster of this topic. I had a level 32 whisper at the end ^^ This 'back defender' buff gives alot experience, so I used it all turns to get very high lvl.