News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

A new engine!

Started by CraigStern, June 05, 2016, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Now in the game and working: the undo stack! You can now undo an unlimited number of moves (so long as you don't attack anything).

CraigStern

I've got the basics of procedural character portrait generation in and working! (With humans, anyway.)

CraigStern

I've improved portrait generation, and added support for lissit characters as well. :)

CraigStern

The new character screen is really coming together! As you can see, I splurged and spent a few hundred bucks on some nice new stat icons to make the screen easier to read at a glance. :)

bugfartboy

There seems to be a very noticeable difference in style and quality between the character portrait and the rest of the stat screen.

CraigStern

The new stat icons go okay with the portraits, I think--but I agree that the item icons and the UI background will likely need to be reworked at some point.

CraigStern

Item tooltips are working! Also, selected characters now have their portrait appear over the actions window. :)

CraigStern

Item tooltips have been improved; skill tooltips are now working.

CraigStern

The Rotate button and associated hotkeys are now in-game and working.

CraigStern

Character portraits now support differing facial expressions: angry, concerned, excited, happy, irritated, mean, nervous, pained, sad, and wink.

Characters now get a default facial expression for their portrait based on the personality trait that manifests most clearly in their dialogue.

CraigStern

I've updated the combat engine to use a proper damage queue to account for deferred damage situations (as where characters are knocked back or thrown bodily by an attack). Speaking of which: I've got the basics of knockback abilities like Shove now in-game and working!

Also, fun bonus: there's now a little flash of light that appears when an attack hits, just before the sparks go flying out. :)

CraigStern

Attacks can now impart status effects (and resistances factor in appropriately to whether those status effects "take").

Pop-up text can now be strung together in sequences. Damage pop-ups are now sandwiched between "Backstabbed!" and status effect pop-up messages (if any) during an attack.

CraigStern

The reflexes stat is working properly in the battle engine! (A character with reflex points remaining during a round will turn to face an attacker that would otherwise backstab them, then lose a reflex point. Reflex points regenerate at the start of a character's turn.)

To produce more variation in human character portraits, nose size now varies by up to 20% between characters.

CraigStern

Status effect icons are now in the game! They're now displayed on the character screen when character are affected by varying status effects--they're smaller than the actual names of the status effects are in text, so this should help avoid the issue sometimes encountered in Telepath Tactics where characters got so loaded up with status effects that they couldn't be displayed anymore. :)

Below, poor Alan Miller is afflicted with both 'Immobilized' and 'Frozen' statuses.

bugfartboy

You've probably already thought of it, but a tool-tip on each of the status effect icons giving the name of the effect might be a good idea.  A step further than that might be indicating how many instances of that effect are active.  E.g. If there's only one instance of "Slowed", just that would work, but maybe "Slowed x3" if there are three instances in play?