News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

A new engine!

Started by CraigStern, June 05, 2016, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

- I just did a mock-up of Mind Shock in pixel art form as a reference for the animator; I think it looks pretty neat, so I figured I'd share it here.

CraigStern

- the game now successfully palette-swaps the "team color" portions of unit sprites so that individual units wear the colors of their army.

CraigStern

- created 8 initial sets of palettes for palette-swapping hair, spriggat horns, and lissit spikes on generated characters

CraigStern

- generated characters are now assigned a skin tone and hair color at random.

- character portraits now successfully palette swap skin tone and hair color to match their character.

CraigStern

Palette-swapping progress has continued, but is now delayed pending some fixes and improvements by outside parties to assets and tools that I'm using. In the meantime:

-implemented ID[] tags in the game. (In case you forgot: this lets you assign an ID to a particular generic unit, which lets you reference it in in scripts and dialogue actions instead of having to provide a unique character name.)

CraigStern

- preliminary work on the AI class has begun! The game now performs an initial analysis of all units on the battlefield when a computer-controlled player's turn begins. This initial analysis consists of assigning each unit a base target value based on its status as a character versus an object; the unit's ability to heal other units; whether the unit is the subject of a Protect Char victory condition; and any TargetValue multiplier tags the unit may possess. The game then makes a note of whether the unit is an ally or not, taking any TreatAsArmy tags present on the unit into account.

- as part of getting the above working, the game now ties individual units to the Protect Char and Capture Char conditions present on a given level.

CraigStern

- the Mind Shock animation is complete! :D

CraigStern

- updated battles to use new Set Army Alliance format.

- implemented Go First condition.

- imported unit sprite sheets and began the long, slow, boring work of individually creating animation controllers for each unit type, creating animations for each animation in the unit type, splitting the sprite sheets into frames, assigning the correct frames to each animation, and setting up triggers for said animations in their respective animation controllers. (Unity kinda sucks for 2D animations; it's gonna be a while before I'm done with this. Hence, why I've just been using lissit for everything thus far.)

CraigStern

- worked with the author of the palette-swapping plugin to get it so elements can now be palette-swapped among an arbitrary number of palettes.

- characters are now generated with variable eye color; eyes are now palette-swapped to match skin color, hair color (for eyebrows), and eye color.

CraigStern

- got male frost spriggat rest and movement animations into the game.

Also, some more character portrait improvements:

- mustaches are now palette-swapped to match character hair color.

- mentalist diadems are now palette-swapped to the correct army color, and are positioned correctly based on head shape.

- nose position is now tweaked algorithmically based upon the character's particular nose size variation.

CraigStern

- fixed an issue where Unity was improperly interpolating sprite position in between animation frames, causing movement to look weird

- the game now has working rest and walk animations for the male and female barudit, male and female frost spriggats, and the stone golem all in and working. Three classes down, 21 left to go!

CraigStern

- condensed all red, dark, and golden spriggat animations down into single sprite sheets for better performance / memory usage.

- the game now has working rest and walk animations for the female red spriggat.

CraigStern

- the game now has working rest and walk animations for the male red spriggat and female dark spriggat.

CraigStern

- the game now has working rest and walk animations for the male dark spriggat, as well as the male and female golden spriggat.

- spriggat portrait elements fixed to permit dynamic palette-swapping between spriggat sub-types.

CraigStern

- the game now has working rest and walk animations for the male and female axefighter. (For those of you counting: that's 8 classes down, and 17 or so left to go...plus another 25 for the promoted classes.)