News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Aquatic Movement

Started by SmartyPants, October 08, 2012, 11:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see some characters with amphibious capabilities?

Definitely
4 (36.4%)
Yes
6 (54.5%)
Maybe
1 (9.1%)
No
0 (0%)
Hell No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

SmartyPants

I was trying to make a skill unimaginatively named "Swimming" that would allow a character move through water without the turn ending.  I was attempting to make "Swimming" similar to Leap and Shadowport- the units spend energy to gain mobility.  As long as the character had the 2 energy per-space, the unit would be able to move in and out of water without the risk of taking drowning damage.

Based on my experiments with the modding, I figured that Swimming attributes deal directly with the game engine, so it outside my ability to make an alternative to swim.

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on September 03, 2013, 04:37:48 PMBased on my experiments with the modding, I figured that Swimming attributes deal directly with the game engine

That is true. Swim is a unique skill in that way. It's the only skill that the engine specifically looks for by name, and it's the only skill that the game deliberately hides from the skills area of the Actions Window.

bugfartboy

As a note, changing

afterAtk="EndTurn"

to

afterAtk="Unlimited"

creates some interesting scenarios. Namely the ability to attack from water/lava after swimming and undoing.

SmartyPants

bfb, I have done the same thing! I had fun moving characters across water, but then it got kind of weird when the stone golems start swimming through lava.

bugfartboy

I do think it would be interesting to be able to attach use conditions to attacks (i.e. attacks only available when a character is in water, lava, or both or at 0 energy. Essentially a hyperextension on "dependsUpon"), although I think would be difficult to implement in a manner both effective and understandable.

JeenLeen

Quote from: bugfartboy on September 04, 2013, 06:54:01 PM
I do think it would be interesting to be able to attach use conditions to attacks (i.e. attacks only available when a character is in water, lava, or both or at 0 energy. Essentially a hyperextension on "dependsUpon"), although I think would be difficult to implement in a manner both effective and understandable.

If someone wanted to, this could also allow 'Limit Break' type attacks for characters at really how health.  I don't think I would like that in a tactical game like this, but I could see it being interesting.  I guess, moreso, I'd dislike it if a weak foe suddenly got a more powerful attack, although it could be a cool way to have a boss 'power-up' at low health.
As the system stands now, could one write a script that activates when so-and-so's health is at or below a certain number, and at that point give them bonus powers or stats?  (Could really backfire if you heal the boss and damage them again  :P)

bugfartboy

Indeed you could, but not in the way that would be required for a variation of swim. I hadn't thought of that, though, JeenLeen. I never use "OnStat" dialog trigger.

SmartyPants

Quote from: bugfartboy on September 04, 2013, 06:54:01 PMI do think it would be interesting to be able to attach use conditions to attacks (i.e. attacks only available when a character is in water, lava, or both. Essentially a hyperextension on "dependsUpon"), although I think would be difficult to implement in a manner both effective and understandable.
Other than having characters swimming through water or lava, I don't see the use in such a feature.  Unless there are aquatic units like fishes or frogs, characters wouldn't be able to use attacks while trying not to drown.

I would prefer a new movement type that allow the user to voluntarily swim through multiple spaces of water at the expense of energy.

CraigStern

Quote from: JeenLeen on September 05, 2013, 03:16:15 PMAs the system stands now, could one write a script that activates when so-and-so's health is at or below a certain number, and at that point give them bonus powers or stats?

Yup! Bugfartboy is correct: you'd trigger the dialog with OnStat, then use SetStat to increase the character's stats and TeachAttack to give the character new skills. ;)

CraigStern

SmartyPants

I'm still unable to figure out how to mod aquatic movement into the game.  If anyone figures it out, then tell me how you did it.

bugfartboy

I've got nothing. The only way I could think of would require being able to fetch the tile description at a location and changing a character's movetype to flying if they were on "water" tile and back to land if not.