News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

A new engine!

Started by CraigStern, June 05, 2016, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Spent yesterday cropping a bunch more animations when I suddenly realized that the sprite packing program I was using was going to scramble all of the frames of the different animation types together, making it nearly impossible to arrange them correctly in-engine. I then discovered that the freeware program Alferd Spritesheet Unpacker will split spritesheets into cropped individual frames, so I basically wasted a bunch of time trying to shrink these things manually. (Oops.) Performed a bunch of research and determined that unpacking spritesheets into individual cropped frames kept in subfolders, then processed through TexturePacker is the way to go as far as generating optimized spritesheets with the frames attached to their respective animations. Thus far, I've split every last female swordsman animation into cropped frames, but that's it.

On the non-animation front:

- began implementing dialogue script actions. So far I have GoTo, GoToLastBranch, EndConvImmediately, ShakeScreen, SpawnParticlesAt, HomePage, AddPortrait and ClearPortraits working.

CraigStern

The game engine now converts procedurally generated character combat barks into useable dialogue in battle. Death barks and victory barks are now triggered at the appropriate moment during an attack sequence.

CraigStern

Added the smash, slash, and pierce visual effects into the engine and got them animating correctly.

CraigStern

At the start of a player's turn, the game now finds the average of all coordinates for characters on that player's army, finds all such characters within 6 spaces of there, and then pans to the coordinates closest to the average of those characters' coordinates. (In short, it pans to a group of characters that are close to the average point of all characters in the army.) If the game can't find such a group (i.e. because the units are spread out exclusively in various far-flung corners of the map), it just picks the first character in that player's roster and pans over to him or her.

CraigStern

Implemented LastBranch, LastLastBranch, and LastLastLastBranch reply types.

CraigStern

Premade, unique characters can now be assigned victory barks using the vicBarks attribute; the game will now successfully import the barks along with the character, and they will use the barks when they defeat enemies. (Here, for instance, are Emma's new victory barks as they appear in the XML file:

vicBarks="And stay down!/You deserved that./We're done here./That's enough out of you./Mess with my family, and you'll have to go through me."

Characters can walk over item sacks that have been dropped on the battlefield.

CraigStern

Character inventories are now capped at 12 items per character. Grabbing an item sack with enough items to exceed this limit will now result in the character taking as many items as he/she can before hitting the limit; all excess items will remain in the item sack.

If a character dies on a space with an existing item sack, that unit's inventory is now added to the existing sack instead of the game attempting to spawn a second sack.

CraigStern

Lost a few days to a bug in Unity that corrupted some files, but I'm back! Coded a few quick interface things:

-clicking anywhere onscreen now advances dialogue when there aren't multiple reply options onscreen
-the Escape key now advances dialogue when there aren't multiple reply options onscreen
-the Escape key now closes the character screen (if one is open)

CraigStern

-Dialogue text now animates! It now appears onscreen character by character, quickly, to mimic the progression of words being spoken by the speaker.

CraigStern

-got branches with multiple different replies working in dialogue.
-got the NamedBranch reply type working in dialogue.

CraigStern

-got Move skills working
-got undo working with Move skills

CraigStern

-Move skills with moveType Teleport now work correctly
-particles can now be assigned on a tile-by-tile basis in TileData.xml
-shoving or throwing a character onto a water or lava tile now sends up a spray of water or lava particles, respectively

CraigStern

-created a new icon for when characters are swimming (as opposed to walking or flying)
-characters that have been shoved into water or lava that aren't flying and aren't atop a bridge or other object are now automatically set to "swimming" movement type
-characters now take drowning/burning damage at the start of their turn if they're swimming in water/lava!

CraigStern

-characters with the "Swimming" movement type can now use the Swim skill to move one space per turn (and to emerge onto dry land). Characters with the "Swimming" movement type now cannot use any other skill.

-characters can now be assigned tags and/or triggers via the level they load in.

-updated the character screen for destructible objects so it no longer shows text regarding skills, masteries, class, level, or experience.

CraigStern

-Enthralled, Heavy, and Levitating status effects now work!

-Burning and Poisoned status effects now work as well, dealing damage once per round at the beginning of the affected unit's turn.

-status effects now last for a set number of turns, then wear off.