News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhampir

I'd like to see a sort of delayed attack feature installed, such as a bomb, thrown down one turn, detonated 2-3turns later, damaging all characters in an omnidirectional pattern. Though no technological people exist that could imaginatively create a bomb it could be some sort of pyrokinesis technique.

I also thought the other general Greek elements should be included, such as wind and earth. Which takes me back to the days of Quest 64. Oh how I loved tearing apart my enemies far away with the wind cutters, squashing them with giant boulders, and of course, bashing them over the head with my supercharged staff.^^

Of course each of those element would have their own unique attacks...
Such as boulder toss, or the large cutter... just a thought though...

Kaseke

Quote from: KZ on February 14, 2010, 01:58:57 PM
Methinks having a stab-style attack that uses Desert Scorpion poison to weaken a tough enemy, say a boss, would be nice to have and would provide variety to Arman's arsenal, since at the moment he has, effectively, two attack that area exactly the same (Stab, Mega Stab). Surely in a long and difficult battle weakening the boss' attack, if it is melee, could be crucial?  And it will expand the set of teammates who have status-affecting attacks.

Desert scorpion's poison, huh? That'd support mine and crypt's side mission, which had this idea.
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

Frosty

I think a good new attack for Griffin would be wound, which is sorta like sap, only its a physical attack. I also think Arman should learn to throw his knife like Niven does with Knife Fling.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

KZ

Quote from: Zhampir on February 15, 2010, 12:40:04 AM
I'd like to see a sort of delayed attack feature installed, such as a bomb, thrown down one turn, detonated 2-3turns later, damaging all characters in an omnidirectional pattern. Though no technological people exist that could imaginatively create a bomb it could be some sort of pyrokinesis technique.

I also thought the other general Greek elements should be included, such as wind and earth. Which takes me back to the days of Quest 64. Oh how I loved tearing apart my enemies far away with the wind cutters, squashing them with giant boulders, and of course, bashing them over the head with my supercharged staff.^^

Not convinced, to be honest. The whole intrdoucing new elements thing was tried several times, but the argument is the same as with introducing elves, dragons and dwarves: CraigStern has created his own unique universe that contains new creations as well as original takes on the common folklore. The 4 elements chosen seem to be a pretty good basis set for starting things off, plus all the attacks and events are centred around the 4 elements. If you played TPA2, there is a boss who uses Sand Storm, which is a Physical attack 8though Psy generated) and, in essence, combines Wind and Earth. So, I think that angle is already covered to a degree.

As for the delayed attack feature: it is certainly an interesting thought, but from having tried out numerous battles in the TRPG engine, I rarely see a situation where a delay of 2 or 3 turns can really have the desired impact due to the sheer dynamics of the battle and unit mobility (it might be useful in case of a bottle-neck or stalemate, where exhaustion tactics are common use, but then it might lead to un-predictable consequences, which some might like...).
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

CraigStern

I'm adding in four new elemental attacks for the next update. They're the standard TRPG elements, though. Earth and Wind, I think, fit pretty neatly into the Physical category in TRPG, since all you're really doing is battering the target. (Hence, why Sand Storm and Sand Blast are treated like physical damage.)

KZ

Quote from: CraigStern on February 18, 2010, 11:27:21 PM
I'm adding in four new elemental attacks for the next update. They're the standard TRPG elements, though.

Neat! That's a nice refreshing addition, I'll go and have a look, so if I can play through TSoG and find what they are.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

torugo

rahel should be able so use a sacred arrow and use other elements like fire ice thunder dark light
griffin could be given the ability to throw his sword and have it come back to him and the agression to boost his strength
mock the pheonix you will burn

Zhampir

I think that the hero, (or another psy adept) should be able to enchant a non psy character's weapons with an element.

Barzul

I had an idea for a new attack for Rahel, well technically Tembhi but you get the idea ;).

Anways, it is called Curving Shot. The bowman uses psy energy to fire and push two arrows in different directions.
B= Bowman O= Target X= Space

XOXXXOX         XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX   or   XOXXXOX
XXXBXXX         XXXBXXX
XXXXXXX         XXXXXXX

SmartyPants

Quote from: Barzul on February 22, 2010, 04:30:31 PM
I had an idea for a new attack for Rahel, well technically Tembhi but you get the idea ;).

Anways, it is called Curving Shot. The bowman uses psy energy to fire and push two arrows in different directions.
B= Bowman O= Target X= Space

XOXXXOX         XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX   or   XOXXXOX
XXXBXXX         XXXBXXX
XXXXXXX         XXXXXXX

The one to the right has too great of a range.

Based on the position of the second attack, Rahel can hit her targert with split shot.
XXXXXXX         XXXXXXX
XOXXXXX   or   XXXXXOX
XXXBXXX         XXXBXXX
XOXXXXX         XXXXXOX

Frosty

But it would allow her to hit that target without changing her facing, which is an impotant thing in telepath games.

Kaseke

I think that rahel should be able to set her arrows on fire.
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

SmartyPants

I think Spearmen, Swordsmen, Bowmen, and Assassins should have physical attacks only.

Frosty

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, just keep the attacks to the class.

KZ

Indeed, I'd rather also see the attacks being kept to the class.

Btw, here is an idea that was extesnively discussed, and at one point it seemed Craig has agreed to implement it: for Malis to be a well-rounded Shadowling Assassin, equip her with Feedback as well, since this is one of the attacks that Darkling can learn too, and he was an assassin. Otehrwise, although fast, Malis would be difficult to use in later stages of the game, whilst Feedback will make her more of a stand-alone, but not tank-type unit (and be able to finish off difficult enemies without getting killed herself).
Welcome to the forums!